Outdoor WiFi antenna and indoor repeater for RV

Aug 22, 2018
Hi, I have an RV (only for travel/leisure, don't live in it full time), and due to the fact that most RV parks have their WiFi "source" far from most parking/camping spots, I wanted to get a directional WiFi antenna (at least 10dbi) and connect it to a router/repeater so I can create my own WiFi network for all my devices (1-2 laptops and 2 smart phones). I know there are many products out there, but most of them just include an antenna with a USB cable that you can plug to your laptop. That only gives me internet for 1 device, but I wanted to know:
1. Can I buy any directional WiFi antenna and connect it (coaxial) to any repeater?
2. Which repeaters would you recommend (i.e. Linksys, etc.)?

Thank you!

Solution
It is pretty much as simple as that.

I have not used those but they look similar in function to the devices I used.

The main "gotcha" with doing this is data encryption. The encryption keys between your device and the RV center are generated they use the mac addresses. This means by design only a single device can be connected. To get around this restriction they use a field called WDS. Both the RV center and your bridge must support this. If not the second method is to run the bridge as a router where its wireless radio is connected like a wan port would be in a common router. This hides all the devices behind a single ip and a single mac address like a internet router would.

It appears the bridge device you...
You have been reading very old information.

The product you actually want is called a directional bridge. You would then hook it to a AP inside or a simple switch if you do not need wifi. It all attaches via ethenet cables

Ubiquiti sell a large number of device many for under $50 like their nano station line. Which you want depend on for example what radio band you need and how much speed you want. The newer 802.11ac devices are much faster but cost a bit more.

Aug 22, 2018

I'm pretty sure you're right about that. When I search on amazon for "Directional Bridge" I get a million results. Do you have any recommendation? Particularly, one that would work well with an access point (I guess "Extender/repeater" is not what I'm looking for).
Thanks in advance.

Aug 22, 2018

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Just looking for whatever let's me connect to WiFi in most RV parks. Would you recommend the following products?

1. Directional Bridge: https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-CPE210-300Mbps-dual-polarized-directional/dp/B00P4JKQGK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534981261&sr=8-2&keywords=directional+bridge+2.4+802.11n

2. Access Point: https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater-TL-WA801ND/dp/B004UBU8IE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534981261&sr=8-1&keywords=directional+bridge+2.4+802.11n

I'm guessing I would need both (the bridge outside, wired to the AP inside the RV), or am I way off?

It is pretty much as simple as that.

I have not used those but they look similar in function to the devices I used.

The main "gotcha" with doing this is data encryption. The encryption keys between your device and the RV center are generated they use the mac addresses. This means by design only a single device can be connected. To get around this restriction they use a field called WDS. Both the RV center and your bridge must support this. If not the second method is to run the bridge as a router where its wireless radio is connected like a wan port would be in a common router. This hides all the devices behind a single ip and a single mac address like a internet router would.

It appears the bridge device you link should have both features but I don't know for sure. Running it in router mode tends to solve some of the other issues where multiple devices need to share a single login that some of these wifi providers use to limit who has access.

Solution