[SOLVED] Outdoor wifi antenna, i have mk83 netgear mesh system, 1 of the satellites are in a shed away from the main house, i have power at the shed. Now just

Jun 20, 2021
I have mk83 netgear wifi mesh system 1 main and 2 satellites, 1 of the satellites is in a shed away from the house about 60ft away, has full signal gets about 100 mb. The satellite only has Lan or cat 5 connections no coaxial. I recently purchased a 15 dbi outdoor wifi omni antenna to place on top of the shed which has outdoor antenna connection coaxial ...so researched and found actiontec 2.5 moca adapter...basically tryin to get the signal I have at the shed and spread it further on the property which is approximately 10 acres..
Will it work?

Solution
Not going to work. Moca is not some media converter it is designed to run between 2 locations over coax cable between them.
In addition you can not just use any coax cable for wifi antenna. If you were to use tv coax cable you would likely lose more than the 15db you antenna adds. You need microwave rated cable something like LMR600 and it can cost $2 per foot and you have to generally have the cable custom made with the proper ends. You can not really solder the ends yourself the connection must be perfect to not get signal loss at the connection.

This is why nobody does it this way anymore.

What you want is a outdoor AP you run inside via a ethernet cable.

You are going to have trouble covering 10 acreas with a a signal...
Not going to work. Moca is not some media converter it is designed to run between 2 locations over coax cable between them.
In addition you can not just use any coax cable for wifi antenna. If you were to use tv coax cable you would likely lose more than the 15db you antenna adds. You need microwave rated cable something like LMR600 and it can cost $2 per foot and you have to generally have the cable custom made with the proper ends. You can not really solder the ends yourself the connection must be perfect to not get signal loss at the connection.

This is why nobody does it this way anymore.

What you want is a outdoor AP you run inside via a ethernet cable.

You are going to have trouble covering 10 acreas with a a signal radio. The outdoor distance on omni antenna is only about 300ft maximum. It is likely much less. A large part of the problem is it does not matter what fancy technology you put in the central location the other half the connection will be your cell phone or other device that has tiny antenna. You are going to need many more AP or your are going to need directional antenna if the other location you want wifi at are fixed.

In any case I would recommend you look at a company called Ubiquiti. They have a large amount of equipment designed for this type of application. A lot of it is very affordable.

Solution
The main feature mesh systems give you is the wifi repeater function which you are not using when you use ethernet connected devices. You have to remember large corporations do not use mesh they use AP like you are considering installing.
It will function fine everything is still one network.

You have to be careful what you call things. That is not really a antenna. It is a outdoor AP that has all the electronics built into the antenna. It is connected with ethernet cable. You could buy outdoor ethernet but normal ethernet can tollerate getting wet it just does not like contact with soil and will only last a few years in the sun.

The thing that is special is the power to the AP is run on the ethernet cable also. You ether need a special switch to provide the power or a power injector.