[SOLVED] Outdoor WiFi PtP Bridge

Mister_Boy

Prominent
Feb 6, 2020
I've been looking at these things (here in the UK) to get a bridge to an outbuilding to which cabling isn't practicable (list pre-sorted to 2-part outdoor kits):
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store/wifi-links/?t=218,734#content
Distance is 20m LoS with the plan being these get fixed on the outside of each building facing each other. In my house I'll have CAT6 wired from the main hub to the device, them bung a WAP inside the outbuilding.
My needs are modest, one or two devices and a WiFi security cam. No need for 4k streaming video etc.
We're rural so no issue with a zillion other WiFi networks fighting for airwaves ;)
Will a basic kit near the low-end? You can spend a bomb on this but I don't need a 2km link or 500Mbps. Any recommendations on brand or products or anything else?

Thankyou.

Solution
I've been looking at these things (here in the UK) to get a bridge to an outbuilding to which cabling isn't practicable (list pre-sorted to 2-part outdoor kits):
Distance is 20m LoS with the plan being these get fixed on the outside of each building facing each other. In my house I'll have CAT6 wired from the main hub to the device, them bung a WAP inside the outbuilding.
My needs are modest, one or two devices and a WiFi security cam. No need for 4k streaming video etc.
We're rural so no issue with a zillion other WiFi networks fighting for airwaves ;)
Will a basic kit near the low-end? You can spend a bomb on this but I don't need a 2km link or 500Mbps...

Mister_Boy

Prominent
Feb 6, 2020
It seems pretty confusing - Ubiquiti seem well regarded but at the lower end of price ranges there are seeming AC5 and AirMAX (maybe others too) competing with each other? In my case does it really make much difference or do I just pick a PtP kit in my price range and trust they're all doing the same thing?

At your distance likely anything will work. I used to know their models pretty well but then they replace the units with the newer ones that have AC5 in the name. The price is the same. From what I can tell the unit that run on the 5g band run Mimo so get more speed. The ones on 2.4g do not and are the same unit before they changed the name ? Not sure the ones you want have the word loco in the description. They should be about $50 and that is the list price so you can get them for a dollar or two cheap some times.

kanewolf

Titan
Will a basic kit near the low-end? You can spend a bomb on this but I don't need a 2km link or 500Mbps. Any recommendations on brand or products or anything else?

Thankyou.
At 20m you may be able to get by with a single unit on the "remote" building. Since you are in a rural area, you don't have to use 5Ghz to avoid interference. Start with a single Ubiquiti loco M2 -- 2.4Ghz unit on the outside of the remote building pointing back to the main building. You may find that you get a good link with just the single ($50) unit. If you don't get sufficient bandwidth, then you can add a second M2 at the main building. I am betting that a single M2 on the remote will be sufficient.

Solution

SurpriseSlayer1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
At 20m you may be able to get by with a single unit on the "remote" building. Since you are in a rural area, you don't have to use 5Ghz to avoid interference. Start with a single Ubiquiti loco M2 -- 2.4Ghz unit on the outside of the remote building pointing back to the main building. You may find that you get a good link with just the single ($50) unit. If you don't get sufficient bandwidth, then you can add a second M2 at the main building. I am betting that a single M2 on the remote will be sufficient.
Just to clarify, you are recommending that he use the single unit to receive the existing 2.4Ghz signal in the remote location? Never thought about a solution like this but it sounds like it would work for short distance. Just curious :)

kanewolf

Titan
Just to clarify, you are recommending that he use the single unit to receive the existing 2.4Ghz signal in the remote location? Never thought about a solution like this but it sounds like it would work for short distance. Just curious :)
Yes, that IS what I am recommending. A rural area with no competing 2.4Ghz WIFI is an excellent candidate for a single directional unit bridging back to the primary WIFI. Generally only 150Mbit link speed, but for the requirements, it will probably be enough.

Reactions: SurpriseSlayer1