Outlook 2003/XP E-Mails To Wrong Folders

mjmcdonagh1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013
Hello,

Not sure if I've listed this under the right category, so apologies if it's incorrect.

I've been having a problem with a few of our user mailboxes recently. Since last Thursday mailbox A has directed all new mail to deleted items, mailbox B has directed all new mail to drafts, and mailbox C has directed all new mail to notes (only view-able via OWA). As far as I can see there are no rules set up to make this happen. The sites which are having these issues are running Outlook XP, though the same issue is happening when I open their mailboxes here on Outlook 2003. All other Mailboxes are absolutely fine.

For record our system is Exchange 2007 with mostly Outlook 2003, and a few Outlook XP machines. All Mailboxes (including those we're having issues with) are Exchange accounts not POP or IMAP.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? And as to how I can fix it? It might be something really simple - apologies if i'm just being a dunce.

Thanks,

Matt.

Solution
There are two rules that can be set, server side and client side, check both of them. You can tell the difference if they have Outlook closed, the mail will get redirected if they use web access if it's a server side rule.

You can clear all rules in a mailbox on the server, and starting Outlook in Safe Mode on the computer should not load any rules either to help with trouble shooting.
There are two rules that can be set, server side and client side, check both of them. You can tell the difference if they have Outlook closed, the mail will get redirected if they use web access if it's a server side rule.

You can clear all rules in a mailbox on the server, and starting Outlook in Safe Mode on the computer should not load any rules either to help with trouble shooting.

Solution

mjmcdonagh1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013
Hey hang-the-9,

That worked perfectly thanks. I really appreciate the prompt response as well.
I didn't realise a) that you get set rules via OWA (that's where I found the move to notes rule) or b) that just opening an account alongside your own in outlook 2003 didn't allow you to see the rules on that account.

Not sure how, or why these rules were set - though I suspect some end-user meddling...

Thanks again,

Matt.

Glad it helped. Users poking around settings to "make things better" causes quite a few issues. Just read some of the posts here about "I was trying to clean up my computer and deleted something, now it does not boot" hehe.