Question Outlook 2007 + Avast Antivirus

Jason3022

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Hey guys,

I recently updated my father's 2 computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (desktop, netbook)

He uses MS-Office 2007 (Excel & Outlook mainly). My understanding is that Microsoft stops supporting these products after 10 years.
Yet, if my father uses Avast Antivirus, should that be sufficient to catch any incoming/outgoing viruses that may find their way to his computer via email?

I'm asking how pertinent it is to get a new version of Microsoft Office, that would include Outlook (desktop version).
He refuses to switch to web-based email and just loves his gazillion folders and sub/sub-folders in Outlook.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, the AV program should continue to protect against threats. However, any vulnerabilities contained in the old version of Office will still be present (and a risk).

He could transition to an open source mail app, like Thunderbird, that can replicate his folders and keep getting updates. Office can certainly be replaced by OpenOffice or LibreOffice, as well.

Reactions: Jason3022

Jason3022

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Thanks - there is certainly sensitive information that he emails, so if Avast is not sufficient, I'll recommend and see what he thinks about Thunderbird.

Otherwise, maybe he can just buy separate copies of Outlook 2019 for each computer and be good for 10'ish years. Which would still be less than subs. year after year.

---------------------

Surely Excel 2007 files would still be ok to use, if he uses an up to date Outlook, or Thunderbird?

D

Deleted member 14196

use LibreOffice , OpenOffice is really bad. LibreOffice has proper support for all latest MS document formats too.

mangaman

Honorable
I'm with using an opensource alternative such as LibreOffice, much like the others. If you are not in a college or organization that provides you MS word/office/excel .etc or you don't want to by it, then LibreOffice is the best alternative.

Plus LibreOffice isn't just for Linux. Windows and MacOS are all fully supported.

Sep 5, 2019
If you are his sysadmin, I would suggest the best protection you could provide for him would be to remove admin privelages and create a login as a basic user for him. This will eliminate most threats of malware and software trying to install themselves.

I did this for my old lady (she is OK with me limiting her use).

AV would work OK. I would suggest just sticking with windows defender, avast free and most free AV are a bit like malware they way they advertise themselves. You install them for a free for 1 year, but they pester you to buy the premium version and install add ons that you dont need like system boost, backup, malware protection, identity protection etc.