Question Outlook 2019 refuses to connect to Outlook.com ?

Tonycl535

Prominent
Feb 20, 2022
Hi All,
hoping you can help me. I have recently had a new Windows 11 PC with Office 2019 added.
I have 2 mail accounts, a gmail and an outlook.com account.
Gmail is my primary account so I set that up on Outlook a couple of weeks ago - I had a bit of trouble as it had 2 factor authorisation but managed after a couple of attempts to get it working.
I've been trying today to get my outlook.com account added but cannot get it to connect in Outlook.

I also have 2 factor authorisation on my outlook.com account, and so at the login I entered my password but it told me it's the wrong password even though it's right - as I've used it to login to the outlook web app with no problems.

Because it's a 2 factor authorisation I logged to my Microsoft account thenSecurity/Advanced Security Options and generated an App Password. Still at the login screen in Outlook I entered the app password and it's still saying wrong password.

I've even tried my authenticator app on my phone for a different way to sign in but that didn't work either. Have also tried to get a text sent me onto my mobile but it will only send to a number ending 82. This is strange as my MS account didn't have a phone number assigned to it, and even after adding my phone to the account it still only gives me the 82 option.

Don't know if anyone can help but would appreciate any help.

Thanks

popatim

Titan
Sign into Outlook.com with your normal password

Click your initials in the upper right, and then select View Account.

Under Security, select Update.

Under More security options, select Explore.

Scroll down to the app passwords section, and then choose Create a new app password.

Your app password will be displayed on the next screen. Make a note of this password.

In Outlook2019, sign in using this App password.

Tonycl535

Prominent
Feb 20, 2022
Sign into Outlook.com with your normal password

Click your initials in the upper right, and then select View Account.

Under Security, select Update.

Under More security options, select Explore.

Scroll down to the app passwords section, and then choose Create a new app password.

Your app password will be displayed on the next screen. Make a note of this password.

In Outlook2019, sign in using this App password.
Hi popatim,
thanks for your reply I think I've already tried this but I'll try again tomorrow as I'm getting the message 'You've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect account or password'. Hopwfully it will let me have another go again tomorrow.
Thanks for your help so far.