Outlook Express error 0x800CCC19

OE timeout error just started happening this morning. I went into options
and set the timeout to 5 minutes. Still can't receive email. I totally
disabled Norton Security, anti-virus, firewall, everything, still can't
receive mail. I can receive it from comcast's website. And, the funny thing
is, I can also receive mail from my second identity through outlook express.
I checked option for option, and account details and everything is set
exactly the same for both identities. I sent a test message to myself and I
can send just fine. When I try to receive email it says:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account:
'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

I don't know what all you need, I'm using Outlook Express 6, Internet
Explorer, cable connection, WindowsXP, Norton Security (though I disabled it
for the test)...

Update: I was looking, for the millionth time, at all the options, account
properties, and I didn't touch anything. As a matter of fact, after looking
I hit cancel instead of o.k. to make sure nothing would change. Anyway, I
hit cancel when I was done looking and I started to receive email. I've been
at this since 4 am. I would still like anyone's opinion of what could have
been happening. I was waiting for a "strange" email to come in and I could
have said, oh, that's what did it. But everything was normal, no big files,
nothing. And Norton was enabled.

"Pam" wrote:

> OE timeout error just started happening this morning. I went into options
> and set the timeout to 5 minutes. Still can't receive email. I totally
> disabled Norton Security, anti-virus, firewall, everything, still can't
> receive mail. I can receive it from comcast's website. And, the funny thing
> is, I can also receive mail from my second identity through outlook express.
> I checked option for option, and account details and everything is set
> exactly the same for both identities. I sent a test message to myself and I
> can send just fine. When I try to receive email it says:
>
> A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account:
> 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
> Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
>
> I don't know what all you need, I'm using Outlook Express 6, Internet
> Explorer, cable connection, WindowsXP, Norton Security (though I disabled it
> for the test)...

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

There's some info about the error here..
http://www.domainavenue.com/support_oe6_0x800ccc19.htm

"Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Update: I was looking, for the millionth time, at all the options,
> account
> properties, and I didn't touch anything. As a matter of fact, after
> looking
> I hit cancel instead of o.k. to make sure nothing would change. Anyway, I
> hit cancel when I was done looking and I started to receive email. I've
> been
> at this since 4 am. I would still like anyone's opinion of what could
> have
> been happening. I was waiting for a "strange" email to come in and I
> could
> have said, oh, that's what did it. But everything was normal, no big
> files,
> nothing. And Norton was enabled.
>
> "Pam" wrote:
>
>> OE timeout error just started happening this morning. I went into
>> options
>> and set the timeout to 5 minutes. Still can't receive email. I totally
>> disabled Norton Security, anti-virus, firewall, everything, still can't
>> receive mail. I can receive it from comcast's website. And, the funny
>> thing
>> is, I can also receive mail from my second identity through outlook
>> express.
>> I checked option for option, and account details and everything is set
>> exactly the same for both identities. I sent a test message to myself
>> and I
>> can send just fine. When I try to receive email it says:
>>
>> A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account:
>> 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port:
>> 110,
>> Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
>>
>> I don't know what all you need, I'm using Outlook Express 6, Internet
>> Explorer, cable connection, WindowsXP, Norton Security (though I disabled
>> it
>> for the test)...

Thank you Ricky. I already have the service update, but I am going to try
their suggestion for Norton. I'm not real secure in their suggestion though.

"Ricky" wrote:

> There's some info about the error here..
> http://www.domainavenue.com/support_oe6_0x800ccc19.htm
>
> "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Update: I was looking, for the millionth time, at all the options,
> > account
> > properties, and I didn't touch anything. As a matter of fact, after
> > looking
> > I hit cancel instead of o.k. to make sure nothing would change. Anyway, I
> > hit cancel when I was done looking and I started to receive email. I've
> > been
> > at this since 4 am. I would still like anyone's opinion of what could
> > have
> > been happening. I was waiting for a "strange" email to come in and I
> > could
> > have said, oh, that's what did it. But everything was normal, no big
> > files,
> > nothing. And Norton was enabled.
> >
> > "Pam" wrote:
> >
> >> OE timeout error just started happening this morning. I went into
> >> options
> >> and set the timeout to 5 minutes. Still can't receive email. I totally
> >> disabled Norton Security, anti-virus, firewall, everything, still can't
> >> receive mail. I can receive it from comcast's website. And, the funny
> >> thing
> >> is, I can also receive mail from my second identity through outlook
> >> express.
> >> I checked option for option, and account details and everything is set
> >> exactly the same for both identities. I sent a test message to myself
> >> and I
> >> can send just fine. When I try to receive email it says:
> >>
> >> A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account:
> >> 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port:
> >> 110,
> >> Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
> >>
> >> I don't know what all you need, I'm using Outlook Express 6, Internet
> >> Explorer, cable connection, WindowsXP, Norton Security (though I disabled
> >> it
> >> for the test)...

Scanning in or outgoing mail does no good, it can only cause problems. You
do not need this no matter what brand AV software you have. As long as the
regular AV software is running, you're covered.

[[The only real reason to use email and download scanning is to make you
feel more secure.]]

I use OE and AVG 7 and do not even have the E-mail Scanner installed, let
alone turned on.

The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
Published: November 18, 2004
By Tom Koch
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

[[As surprising and ironic as it may seem though, the most common cause of
DBX corruption is not a virus, but rather anti-virus programs that are
configured to scan incoming or outgoing e-mail. Even the most well-known
anti-virus programs have exhibited this problem from time to time. ]]

Scroll down to:
Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption
or click...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EEAA

----

[[In fact, .]]
Messages in Inbox or other mail folders disappear
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone

----

[[Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect
scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email
and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this.
To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.]]
Frequently asked questions about Norton AntiVirus Email Scanning
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/4ba5fc8ef939c44c88256c7500723cf0?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Click to clear the "Scan incoming Email" and "Scan outgoing Email" check
box.!!!!
http://www.domainavenue.com/support_oe6_0x800ccc19.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F547E808-DF91-4184-8892-DE176204FC51@microsoft.com,
Pam <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you Ricky. I already have the service update, but I am going to try
> their suggestion for Norton. I'm not real secure in their suggestion
> though.
>
> "Ricky" wrote:
>
>> There's some info about the error here..
>> http://www.domainavenue.com/support_oe6_0x800ccc19.htm
>>
>> "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Update: I was looking, for the millionth time, at all the options,
>>> account
>>> properties, and I didn't touch anything. As a matter of fact, after
>>> looking
>>> I hit cancel instead of o.k. to make sure nothing would change.
>>> Anyway, I hit cancel when I was done looking and I started to receive
>>> email. I've been
>>> at this since 4 am. I would still like anyone's opinion of what could
>>> have
>>> been happening. I was waiting for a "strange" email to come in and I
>>> could
>>> have said, oh, that's what did it. But everything was normal, no big
>>> files,
>>> nothing. And Norton was enabled.

Wow!! A lot to read and learn!! (and I saved it for reference lol) But it
is all worth it! I want to thank both of you for all the tips, so far OE is
working and I am a little more knowledgable than before!

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Scanning in or outgoing mail does no good, it can only cause problems. You
> do not need this no matter what brand AV software you have. As long as the
> regular AV software is running, you're covered.
>
> [[The only real reason to use email and download scanning is to make you
> feel more secure.]]
>
> I use OE and AVG 7 and do not even have the E-mail Scanner installed, let
> alone turned on.
>
> The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
> Published: November 18, 2004
> By Tom Koch
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx
>
> [[As surprising and ironic as it may seem though, the most common cause of
> DBX corruption is not a virus, but rather anti-virus programs that are
> configured to scan incoming or outgoing e-mail. Even the most well-known
> anti-virus programs have exhibited this problem from time to time. ]]
>
> Scroll down to:
> Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption
> or click...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EEAA
>
> ----
>
> [[In fact, .]]
> Messages in Inbox or other mail folders disappear
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
>
> ----
>
> [[Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
> that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect
> scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email
> and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this.
> To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
> Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
> the most recent virus definitions.]]
> Frequently asked questions about Norton AntiVirus Email Scanning
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/4ba5fc8ef939c44c88256c7500723cf0?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
>

> Click to clear the "Scan incoming Email" and "Scan outgoing Email" check
> box.!!!!
> http://www.domainavenue.com/support_oe6_0x800ccc19.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:F547E808-DF91-4184-8892-DE176204FC51@microsoft.com,
> Pam <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Thank you Ricky. I already have the service update, but I am going to try
> > their suggestion for Norton. I'm not real secure in their suggestion
> > though.
> >
> > "Ricky" wrote:
> >
> >> There's some info about the error here..
> >> http://www.domainavenue.com/support_oe6_0x800ccc19.htm
> >>
> >> "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Pam,

Keep in mind that Tom Koch is the OE expert. Whenever you have a question
about OE, look here first...

Inside Outlook Express
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

Inside Outlook Express - Sitemap
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/sitemap.htm

Here are some good articles by Tom Koch (OE) and Sandi Hardmeier (IE)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/default.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:17AB1D41-D2C2-4FFF-A848-6E4625F882FA@microsoft.com,
Pam <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wow!! A lot to read and learn!! (and I saved it for reference lol) But
> it is all worth it! I want to thank both of you for all the tips, so far
> OE is working and I am a little more knowledgable than before!
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Scanning in or outgoing mail does no good, it can only cause problems.
>> You do not need this no matter what brand AV software you have. As long
>> as the regular AV software is running, you're covered.
>>
>> [[The only real reason to use email and download scanning is to make you
>> feel more secure.]]
>>
>> I use OE and AVG 7 and do not even have the E-mail Scanner installed, let
>> alone turned on.
>>
>> The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
>> Published: November 18, 2004
>> By Tom Koch
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx
>>
>> [[As surprising and ironic as it may seem though, the most common cause
>> of DBX corruption is not a virus, but rather anti-virus programs that are
>> configured to scan incoming or outgoing e-mail. Even the most well-known
>> anti-virus programs have exhibited this problem from time to time. ]]
>>
>> Scroll down to:
>> Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption
>> or click...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EEAA

>> ----
>>
>> [[In fact, .]]
>> Messages in Inbox or other mail folders disappear
>> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
>>
>> ----
>>
>> [[Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
>> that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect
>> scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including
>> email and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top
>> of this. To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum
>> protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to
>> ensure that you have the most recent virus definitions.]]
>> Frequently asked questions about Norton AntiVirus Email Scanning

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/4ba5fc8ef939c44c88256c7500723cf0?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

>> Click to clear the "Scan incoming Email" and "Scan outgoing Email" check
>> box.!!!!
>> http://www.domainavenue.com/support_oe6_0x800ccc19.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:F547E808-DF91-4184-8892-DE176204FC51@microsoft.com,
>> Pam <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Thank you Ricky. I already have the service update, but I am going to
>>> try their suggestion for Norton. I'm not real secure in their
>>> suggestion though.

Thank you very much, this does help. I love this forum! Anytime I have
(what I think) a major problem, I come here, look around or post and I get my
answer!

Keep having fun! :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:21749AD9-3897-4ED3-A888-96FDA8EF2F3C@microsoft.com,
Pam <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you very much, this does help. I love this forum! Anytime I have
> (what I think) a major problem, I come here, look around or post and I
> get my answer!
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Pam,
>>
>> Keep in mind that Tom Koch is the OE expert. Whenever you have a
>> question about OE, look here first...
>>
>> Inside Outlook Express
>> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/
>>
>> Inside Outlook Express - Sitemap
>> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/sitemap.htm
>>
>> Here are some good articles by Tom Koch (OE) and Sandi Hardmeier (IE)
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/default.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:17AB1D41-D2C2-4FFF-A848-6E4625F882FA@microsoft.com,
>> Pam <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Wow!! A lot to read and learn!! (and I saved it for reference lol)
>>> But it is all worth it! I want to thank both of you for all the tips,
>>> so far OE is working and I am a little more knowledgable than before!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EEAA

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/4ba5fc8ef939c44c88256c7500723cf0?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

I also suddenly had the same timeout problem with outlook express 6,
with Windows XP SP2 and Norton Personal Firewall 2005 and Norton
AntiVirus 2004. The problem was with the NORTON FIREWALL! When I
disabled Norton's Firewall, (but at the same time I ENABLED the
Window's Firewall to be protected), I was able to send and receive my
messages as before. You don't even have to reboot, you just have to
close Outlook Express and then open it again after disabling Norton
Firewall. Norton AntiVirus was on with its usual default settings.

I removed Norton Firewall, then reinstalled it, and now everything
works smoothly again. Remember to close ALL Symantec programs when
installing Norton products, such as Norton Antivirus and WinFax Pro (do
a Ctrl-Alt-Del and remove it from there.).

Thanks to these google groups, I was given many ideas, and this one
worked for me.

I just wonder if Windows XP Update or the Symantec Update had anything
to do with the corruption. Do we blame Microsoft or Symantec???

Hope this helps.

It probably does help, thank you, but I ended up completely removing Norton
and going with something else. But I sure appreciate all the replies from
everyone. This is the best group so far for fixing all my problems! LOL

Pam