In Outlook Express, I frequently view, "Outlook Express has encountered a
problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
The error signature is:
"AppName msimn.exe AppVer6.0.29001123 ModName ole32.dll"
What can I do to correct this?
Thank you for your help,
meadow

Copy/paste the following line into an IE Addressbar, click on GO, then
copy/paste the results into your reply:

javascript:navigator.appMinorVersion

Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one? Has OE ever worked?
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

meadow wrote:
> In Outlook Express, I frequently view, "Outlook Express has encountered a
> problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
> The error signature is:
> "AppName msimn.exe AppVer6.0.29001123 ModName ole32.dll"
> What can I do to correct this?
> Thank you for your help,
> meadow

;SP1;Q832894;Q330994;Q837009;Q831167;Q823353;Q867801

It is an ongoing problem. It was taking along time for OE to open, but now
that isn't happening

However, I do view the error message frequently. I have AD-Aware SE
installed. OE used to work.

Thank you for your help,

meadow

"PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Copy/paste the following line into an IE Addressbar, click on GO, then
> copy/paste the results into your reply:
>
> javascript:navigator.appMinorVersion
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one? Has OE ever worked?
> --
> OE6-specific newsgroup:

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
>
> What You Should Know About Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx
>
> meadow wrote:
> > In Outlook Express, I frequently view, "Outlook Express has encountered
> > problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
> > The error signature is:
> > "AppName msimn.exe AppVer6.0.29001123 ModName ole32.dll"
> > What can I do to correct this?
> > Thank you for your help,
> > meadow

Disable your anti-virus application and close all OE windows.

Uninstall Q823353 via Add/Remove Programs ('Outlook Express Q823353') and
reboot.

With the anti-virus disabled and with just one IE window open, go to IE
Tools>Windows Updates and install:

1. Q8232353 as well as MS04-038/Q834707; or

2. SP2.

Reboot. If you chose to install SP2, return to Windows Update to install
Q834707 and any other post-SP2 updates identified.

Then make sure Automatic Updates is turned on and you should be good as
gold.

To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
and all other running processes closed before installing anything, including
Windows Updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> ;SP1;Q832894;Q330994;Q837009;Q831167;Q823353;Q867801
>
> It is an ongoing problem. It was taking along time for OE to open, but
> now that isn't happening
>
> However, I do view the error message frequently. I have AD-Aware SE
> installed. OE used to work.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> meadow
>

> "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Copy/paste the following line into an IE Addressbar, click on GO, then
> > copy/paste the results into your reply:
> >
> > javascript:navigator.appMinorVersion
> >
> > Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one? Has OE ever worked?
> > --
> > OE6-specific newsgroup:

> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
> >
> > What You Should Know About Spyware
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx
> >
> > meadow wrote:
> > > In Outlook Express, I frequently view, "Outlook Express has
> > > encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> > > inconvenience."
> > > The error signature is:
> > > "AppName msimn.exe AppVer6.0.29001123 ModName ole32.dll"
> > > What can I do to correct this?
> > > Thank you for your help,
> > > meadow

I disabled Norton Antivirus and installed SP2 and other post-SP2 updates.

However, there is a Microsoft Office Update labeled "Office XP Service Pack
3 - English Version".

I'm viewing "There are no Office updates installed on this computer"

Shall I download it?

> Disable your anti-virus application and close all OE windows.
>
> Uninstall Q823353 via Add/Remove Programs ('Outlook Express Q823353') and
> reboot.
>
> With the anti-virus disabled and with just one IE window open, go to IE
> Tools>Windows Updates and install:
>
> 1. Q8232353 as well as MS04-038/Q834707; or
>
> 2. SP2.
>
> Reboot. If you chose to install SP2, return to Windows Update to install
> Q834707 and any other post-SP2 updates identified.
>
> Then make sure Automatic Updates is turned on and you should be good as
> gold.
>
> To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
> and all other running processes closed before installing anything,
> including Windows Updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
>

> M C Muccigrosso wrote:
>> ;SP1;Q832894;Q330994;Q837009;Q831167;Q823353;Q867801
>>
>> It is an ongoing problem. It was taking along time for OE to open, but
>> now that isn't happening
>>
>> However, I do view the error message frequently. I have AD-Aware SE
>> installed. OE used to work.
>>
>> Thank you for your help,
>>
>> meadow
>>

>> "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Copy/paste the following line into an IE Addressbar, click on GO, then
>> > copy/paste the results into your reply:
>> >
>> > javascript:navigator.appMinorVersion
>> >
>> > Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one? Has OE ever worked?
>> > --
>> > OE6-specific newsgroup:

>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
>> >
>> > What You Should Know About Spyware
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

Yes.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

"M C Muccigrosso" <reagan@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

> I disabled Norton Antivirus and installed SP2 and other post-SP2 updates.
>
> However, there is a Microsoft Office Update labeled "Office XP Service
> Pack 3 - English Version".
>
> I'm viewing "There are no Office updates installed on this computer"
>
> Shall I download it?
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> meadow
>

> "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Disable your anti-virus application and close all OE windows.
>>
>> Uninstall Q823353 via Add/Remove Programs ('Outlook Express Q823353') and
>> reboot.
>>
>> With the anti-virus disabled and with just one IE window open, go to IE
>> Tools>Windows Updates and install:
>>
>> 1. Q8232353 as well as MS04-038/Q834707; or
>>
>> 2. SP2.
>>
>> Reboot. If you chose to install SP2, return to Windows Update to install
>> Q834707 and any other post-SP2 updates identified.
>>
>> Then make sure Automatic Updates is turned on and you should be good as
>> gold.
>>
>> To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
>> and all other running processes closed before installing anything,
>> including Windows Updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
>>

>> M C Muccigrosso wrote:
>>> ;SP1;Q832894;Q330994;Q837009;Q831167;Q823353;Q867801
>>>
>>> It is an ongoing problem. It was taking along time for OE to open, but
>>> now that isn't happening
>>>
>>> However, I do view the error message frequently. I have AD-Aware SE
>>> installed. OE used to work.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help,
>>>
>>> meadow
>>>

>>> "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message

I appreciate your help.

I installed the "Office XP Service Pack 3 - English Version".

However I'm still viewing the error message and it shuts down Outlook
Express.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you,

M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> I appreciate your help.
>
> I installed the "Office XP Service Pack 3 - English Version".
>
> However I'm still viewing the error message and it shuts down Outlook
> Express.
>
> Is there anything else I can do?

Hi;

Pardon me for butting in, but what is the vesion number of the ole32.dll in
your system32 folder? Since you state you have installed XP SP2, it should
be 5.1.2600.2180. If that isn't the version number you have, please post
back with that info.

Assuming that is the version you have, open the Start/Run line and enter
this:
REGSVR32 OLE32.DLL

Also, when that error pops up now, does it always reference ole32.dll or do
other files get mentioned there?

--

....Sky

================

The Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180. The File Version is: 5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
I Followed your instructions and viewed:
DillRegisterServer in OLE32.Dll succeded.
When the error pops up, I only view ole32.dll.
I closed Outlook Express and opened it several times. So far, I only viewed
the error once.
Thanks for your help,
Mary Catherine Muccigrosso

M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> The Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180. The File Version is: 5.1.2600.2180
> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
> I Followed your instructions and viewed:
> DillRegisterServer in OLE32.Dll succeded.

It may help to do a Restart after that. Shouldn't be necessary, but better
to be on the safe side. <g>

> When the error pops up, I only view ole32.dll.
> I closed Outlook Express and opened it several times. So far, I only
> viewed the error once.

Well, we're down from "frequently" to just once, so maybe there is progress.
<G> Hopefully after a Restart you won't see it again.

If it should continue, you may want to post this in the newsgroup dedicated
to OE issues
(news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress).

--

....Sky

================

If you're still having problems, I'd suspect your identity's store is in
need of compacting (at least):

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

If still no joy, Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the
default Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named
Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
messages from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
Identities).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> The Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180. The File Version is: 5.1.2600.2180
> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
> I Followed your instructions and viewed:
> DillRegisterServer in OLE32.Dll succeded.
> When the error pops up, I only view ole32.dll.
> I closed Outlook Express and opened it several times. So far, I only
> viewed the error once.
> Thanks for your help,
> Mary Catherine Muccigrosso
>

> "Sky King" <skyking@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> > > I appreciate your help.
> > >
> > > I installed the "Office XP Service Pack 3 - English Version".
> > >
> > > However I'm still viewing the error message and it shuts down Outlook
> > > Express.
> > >
> > > Is there anything else I can do?
> >
> > Hi;
> >
> > Pardon me for butting in, but what is the vesion number of the ole32.dll
> > in your system32 folder? Since you state you have installed XP SP2, it
> > should be 5.1.2600.2180. If that isn't the version number you have,
> > please post back with that info.
> >
> > Assuming that is the version you have, open the Start/Run line and enter
> > this:
> > REGSVR32 OLE32.DLL
> >
> > Also, when that error pops up now, does it always reference ole32.dll or
> > do other files get mentioned there?
> >
> > --
> >
> > ...Sky
> >
> > ================

I have really appreciated your help.

After your last e-mail, I talked to my ISP Technician, and he assured me my
computer was working properly.

It finally occurred to me that I had installed Spamfighter,
http://www.spamfighter.com in Outlook Express.

Since I was still viewing the error message, I decided to uninstall
Spamfighter.

I have not viewed the error message since.

I sent an e-mail to info@spamfighter.com and explained my problem, but I
haven't received a response.

Thanks again,

M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> The Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180. The File Version is: 5.1.2600.2180
> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
> I Followed your instructions and viewed:
> DillRegisterServer in OLE32.Dll succeded.
> When the error pops up, I only view ole32.dll.
> I closed Outlook Express and opened it several times. So far, I only
> viewed the error once.
> Thanks for your help,
> Mary Catherine Muccigrosso
>

> "Sky King" <skyking@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> > > I appreciate your help.
> > >
> > > I installed the "Office XP Service Pack 3 - English Version".
> > >
> > > However I'm still viewing the error message and it shuts down Outlook
> > > Express.
> > >
> > > Is there anything else I can do?
> >
> > Hi;
> >
> > Pardon me for butting in, but what is the vesion number of the ole32.dll
> > in your system32 folder? Since you state you have installed XP SP2, it
> > should be 5.1.2600.2180. If that isn't the version number you have,
> > please post back with that info.
> >
> > Assuming that is the version you have, open the Start/Run line and enter
> > this:
> > REGSVR32 OLE32.DLL
> >
> > Also, when that error pops up now, does it always reference ole32.dll or
> > do other files get mentioned there?
> >
> > --
> >
> > ...Sky
> >
> > ================

Thanks for posting back. Add another third-party tool to the list of those
which don't play nice with OE. <eg>

Query: Did you have Email Scanning (by your anti-virus application) enabled
as well as Spamfighter? Was it the free version of Spamfighter and what's
the version number?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> I have really appreciated your help.
>
> After your last e-mail, I talked to my ISP Technician, and he assured me
> my computer was working properly.
>
> It finally occurred to me that I had installed Spamfighter,
> http://www.spamfighter.com in Outlook Express.
>
> Since I was still viewing the error message, I decided to uninstall
> Spamfighter.
>
> I have not viewed the error message since.
>
> I sent an e-mail to info@spamfighter.com and explained my problem, but I
> haven't received a response.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> meadow
>

> "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
> If you're still having problems, I'd suspect your identity's store is in
> need of compacting (at least):
>
> Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.
>
> Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
> compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
>
> Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
>
> If still no joy, Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its
> the default Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new
> Named Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well,
> import messages from the old Identity before deleting it
> (File>Identities>Manage Identities).
>
> M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> > The Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180. The File Version is: 5.1.2600.2180
> > (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
> > I Followed your instructions and viewed:
> > DillRegisterServer in OLE32.Dll succeded.
> > When the error pops up, I only view ole32.dll.
> > I closed Outlook Express and opened it several times. So far, I only
> > viewed the error once.
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Mary Catherine Muccigrosso
> >

> > "Sky King" <skyking@mvps.org> wrote in message

> > > Hi;
> > >
> > > Pardon me for butting in, but what is the vesion number of the
> > > ole32.dll in your system32 folder? Since you state you have
> > > installed XP SP2, it should be 5.1.2600.2180. If that isn't the
> > > version number you have, please post back with that info.
> > >
> > > Assuming that is the version you have, open the Start/Run line and
> > > enter this:
> > > REGSVR32 OLE32.DLL
> > >
> > > Also, when that error pops up now, does it always reference ole32.dll
> > > or do other files get mentioned there?
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > ...Sky
> > >
> > > ================

Yes, In Norton AntiVirus, I had e-mail scanning enabled.

It was the free version of Spamfighter

The version number was: 3.0.9

http://www.spamfighter.com/Download_Download.asp

Thanks again for your help,

meadow

M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> I have really appreciated your help.
>
> After your last e-mail, I talked to my ISP Technician, and he assured me
> my computer was working properly.
>
> It finally occurred to me that I had installed Spamfighter,
> http://www.spamfighter.com in Outlook Express.
>
> Since I was still viewing the error message, I decided to uninstall
> Spamfighter.
>
> I have not viewed the error message since.
>
> I sent an e-mail to info@spamfighter.com and explained my problem, but I
> haven't received a response.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> meadow
>

> "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
> If you're still having problems, I'd suspect your identity's store is in
> need of compacting (at least):
>
> Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.
>
> Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
> compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
>
> Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
>
> If still no joy, Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its
> the default Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new
> Named Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well,
> import messages from the old Identity before deleting it
> (File>Identities>Manage Identities).
>
> M C Muccigrosso wrote:
> > The Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180. The File Version is: 5.1.2600.2180
> > (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
> > I Followed your instructions and viewed:
> > DillRegisterServer in OLE32.Dll succeded.
> > When the error pops up, I only view ole32.dll.
> > I closed Outlook Express and opened it several times. So far, I only
> > viewed the error once.
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Mary Catherine Muccigrosso
> >

> > "Sky King" <skyking@mvps.org> wrote in message

> > > Hi;
> > >
> > > Pardon me for butting in, but what is the vesion number of the
> > > ole32.dll in your system32 folder? Since you state you have
> > > installed XP SP2, it should be 5.1.2600.2180. If that isn't the
> > > version number you have, please post back with that info.
> > >
> > > Assuming that is the version you have, open the Start/Run line and
> > > enter this:
> > > REGSVR32 OLE32.DLL
> > >
> > > Also, when that error pops up now, does it always reference ole32.dll
> > > or do other files get mentioned there?
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > ...Sky

Reply From Spamfighter:

it is a know problem that few of our users experience and we're working on
solving to the next release.
Please use SPAMfighter version 2.7.4 until we have fixed the problem.
You can download it here:
http://download.spamfighter.com/download/pro/spamfighter_274.exe
We will release a new version in about a week