Outlook Preview Pane questions

nicole

I just started at a new company and they have been having
virus problems possibly due to the high volume of
internet/email use from the public.

A suggestion that I made (from a hard learned lesson at a
previous employer) has been accepted with mixed reactions
and before I pursue this further, I'd like to make sure
that I have the correct information.

When recieving an email in Outlook that is suspicious and
to be deleted, they select it in the "preview pane" mode
to delete it but they get the virus anyway. I explained
that as long as they are using the preview pane, they are
opening the email without knowing it, allowing the virus
to spread. I've suggested that they change the view out
of the preview pane AT LEAST when trying to delete a known
virus.

This suggestion has not been well recepted. Am I
correct? and if so, is there some documentation that I
could show to help them??
Thanks!!!

You should check all the e-mails for viruses at your gateway and/or on your
e-mail server. That will help you reduce number of viruses in your new
company. Other then that, yes there are some exploits out there that can be
triggered without user opening an e-mail (it very much depends on version of
Outlook that you use)...

I hope this helps,

Mike