Outputting audio to multiple devices

theyoungone10

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I'm running Windows 7 Professional, Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard, and an Asus 660ti.

I want to have 3 devices connected through audio out.

My monitor connected via HDMI, 2.1 Logitech speakers via a headphone jack, and my Astro Mixamp also via a headphone jack.

However with the current setup I can't have audio play through my monitor while the mixamp is connected. Is there a way to fix this with software? Either the Realtek HD Audio Manager or the windows audio manager? I want it to output to both so I can simply take off my headset when I want to use the monitor speakers or mute the tv when I have my headset on. I don't want to have to unplug the mixamp in order to use the monitor speakers.

Thanks and if you need more info or clarification please let me know

Solution
ironically the idea of muting other devices and using the headphone jack when you plug in a set of headphones is for the conviencence of doing exactly what you want to do.

If you do not want to physically plug or unplug your speakers you can always go into Windows audio manager and switch your active output that way, but most programs will force you to shut them down and restart them before they realize that something has changed.

The other option (and what I do) is to get an amp which will distribute your signal for you. In my case the audio switches between my big speakers and my headphones, but I could just as easily have it switch to a different audio output if I wanted to.

A cheap way of doing this would be to get an audio or...
ironically the idea of muting other devices and using the headphone jack when you plug in a set of headphones is for the conviencence of doing exactly what you want to do.

If you do not want to physically plug or unplug your speakers you can always go into Windows audio manager and switch your active output that way, but most programs will force you to shut them down and restart them before they realize that something has changed.

The other option (and what I do) is to get an amp which will distribute your signal for you. In my case the audio switches between my big speakers and my headphones, but I could just as easily have it switch to a different audio output if I wanted to.

A cheap way of doing this would be to get an audio or AV switch. Typically they will have one input and 2-4 outputs that you can switch between. Sadly they tend to be analogue only, but it may be a much simpler and elegant solution than mucking up your device drivers, and less expensive than purchasing an amp.

Solution

theyoungone10

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Thanks for the help. What I ended up doing was basically have everything go through my TV/Monitor acting as a hub.

My xbox 360 and PC are connected to the monitor through HDMI. Then I have my Astro Mixamp connected to the TV through the optical output and my Logitech 2.1 speakers connected to the PC. The Astro Mixamp also has a PC mic input so that is connected to the PC as well.

Now all I have to do is switch between outputting to the speakers and the TV and never have to unplug my headset from the mixamp and into the PC. Much simpler.