Question Outrageous storage needs?

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Hi all. A friend of mine uses Plex to stream movies and shows he has stored on multiple internal drives. It's an absurd amount of data. I think he has three 20TB drives, so far. He wants even more space because he doesn't like having much compression on his videos. I came across something called a G-RAID SHUTTLE 8 ... can this be used for such purposes? I only see info about using it for video editing, not backup for streaming.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
I'm assuming your friend is looking at the 160TB version of the G-RAID? Why not build or invest in a NAS? You could also advise on investing on larger capacity single hard disk drives to replace the existing 20TB drives.
That is what we were looking at, yep. What is a NAS? We're both bad at storage stuff. I didn't know there were larger single ones. He already has three either 16 or 20tb. I forget.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
NAS = Network Attached Storage.

QNAP and Synology are the two recommended makes.

I have a 4 bay QNAP TS-453a.
There are others, with more drive bays.

Fill it up with whatever drives you choose.

That G-RAID SHUTTLE 8 is way overpriced for what you apparently need it for.
To be honest, if he already has the three internal drives, I'm not quite sure what the benefit of these devices are. It looks like it's just a fancier way of storing the drives.

USAFRet

Titan
To be honest, if he already has the three internal drives, I'm not quite sure what the benefit of these devices are. It looks like it's just a fancier way of storing the drives.
It is a server in its own right, with its own OS.
Not reliant on the Windows system.

A better alternative than the G-RAID thing you referred to.

My current little server farm....~80TB:

QNAP TS-453A
8TB, 8TB, 18TB, 480GB (SSD system drive)

QNAP TR-004
4x 4TB

4 bay MediaSonic enclosure:
3TB, 3TB, 16TB, 8TB

All directly accessible in the QNAP OS, or from any system in the house. PCs, tablet, phones...

Reactions: takearushfan82