Outsourced IT: Do You Need Your Own Staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stdragon

Admirable
I'm currently employed within an MSP serving the SMB. In all my 10+ years, there's a consistent theme. Once a company becomes big enough or goes public (SOX requirement), all IT is brought in-house.

MSPs tend to be small businesses themselves. Benefits suck, but you gain lots of experience!

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Is this "Tom's Hardware," where we come for hardware reviews and investigative journalism that isn't afraid to step on big companies' toes in order to publish the truth, or "Tom's Business Guide," where we come for CIO-level information that's extremely light on technical details?

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
This is a bit old hat. This is a clear trend that's been continuing for the last several years. What Tom's should be reporting on, is due to the continued growth and competition in the MSP market, that several MSPs are now themselves outsourcing. So, now, you have US SMB MSPS outsourcing NOC to 3rd world countries. Additionally, others are outsourcing their help desk and tier 1 phone support to low cost US call centers. Even then, it isn't new, it's been a big trend in the market since at least 2012/2013 but it's much more timely.

I think that would have been a much more interesting article.

stdragon

Admirable

IT is a cost center. If companies could, they would drive (and have done so) the cost down to some 3rd world citizen happy with being paid enough to eat one bowl of rice a day. Bonus is getting the occasional two bowls.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

That's true in any and every industry though. I just think that many people unfamiliar with the MSP Industry (I worked in it for 7+ years) are unfamiliar that the small regional MSP you use, is likely outsourcing labor due to the cost benefits,

Status
Not open for further replies.