Ouya CEO Reveals Plans For Yearly Hardware Refreshes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I don't think process technology is going to shrink fast enough in a year that it'll make that POS better than the first generation.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
For such a cheap price I think a yearly release is a great thing. Interestingly with how it uses mobile hardware and how fast tech advances currently with such hardware we could witness it beat the specs of Microsoft's and Sony's next consoles during their mid-life.

oxiide

Distinguished
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]So what will the new one do that the old one can't?[/citation]
Be faster to keep up with newer and more demanding games? Seems like an odd question to ask almost a year away from an annual release.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The problem with the theory of an annual refresher is that the power of the device is so minimal as it is, the games it can play aren't going to demand much more power in a year, maybe not even two. They would be better off bumping the price up a little and starting off with better specs in the first place. A yearly refresh only makes sense for buyers entering the ecosystem (first time buying the console). It's a waste of money for anyone who has one already that isn't about two years old at least.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]marvin_miller[/nom]just as April responded I'm stunned that people can profit $6230 in a few weeks on the computer. have you read this webpage... www.Snag4.com[/citation]

Lol i can't even process the level of full on retard that this spam encompasses

[citation][nom]gilgamex[/nom]Lol i can't even process the level of full on retard that this spam encompasses[/citation]
Lol i can't even process the level of full on retard that quoting this spam so it will never be deleted encompasses

[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]I don't think process technology is going to shrink fast enough in a year that it'll make that POS better than the first generation.[/citation]

Maybe Tegra 4 for next gen which AFAIK will be a significant performance increase

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
On the one hand, many Android phones get a new version every year so it's not unheard of, but on the other hand, hardware doesn't change quickly enough for a new *game console* to be designed, manufactured, and released every single year, and still have perfect backwards compatibility. Hardware refreshes will be necessary if the console is a hit, and I could understand every two years, maybe three, but just one year isn't long enough.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Id understand jumping up to tegra 4 in 1 year, but not annual refreshes. as of now the tegra 3 is enough for any android game out there. next year there will be a bigger catalog optimized to run great with tegra 4. but I suspect tegra 4 performance will be enough to last 2-3 years and play every game smoothly.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]People shell out $120 a year just to buy COD and all the DLC...[/citation]What does that have to do with this? Maybe they'd rather spend it on COD than Ouya. Or maybe they'll buy both. Either way it doesn't change a thing - yearly refreshes are a bit excessive[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]The problem with the theory of an annual refresher is that the power of the device is so minimal as it is, the games it can play aren't going to demand much more power in a year, maybe not even two. They would be better off bumping the price up a little and starting off with better specs in the first place. A yearly refresh only makes sense for buyers entering the ecosystem (first time buying the console). It's a waste of money for anyone who has one already that isn't about two years old at least.[/citation]Agreed. They could have built something significantly better for even $100 more, and upgraded every 2-3 years. Now they've created a more rapidly moving target, which is fine for simple games. But this makes life interesting for developers considering putting more advanced games on the platform. The lifecycle is too short, you'll either end up with a less advanced game capable of running on older models, or a smaller userbase running newer units.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
You'll have a hard time making AAA titles on such a device. Those take 2-5 years, so unless companies can predict what the hardware will be when they are done, it'll be very hard to make one on Ouya

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Consoles last ~7 years with solid graphics and performance. Costs between $400-700 new (next gen looking to be $400-500?)
Ouya lasts 1 year.

Ouya over 7 years = $700
Next gen consoles over 7 years = $400-500ish

Suddenly this awesome, new and affordable console isnt so great.

It really sounds like they are being influenced by the "reality distortion field" and as such, assume their potential customers are as well. If the thing is to be relegated to last years games and streaming internet content, less than a year from purchase, it doesn't sound any better than a Roku, which can already play games like that. How many people buy internet streaming devices to play games on their TV instead of their phones? I wonder if they bothered to do any market research? Do the people playing app style games actually pony up much money for them? I have a sneaking suspicion their business model relies on yearly sales rather than AAA titles, as there likely won't be any.

G

Anything less than 3 or 4 years on a console life cycle is absurd. They should have waited for Tegra 4 to start with and dropped 16GB in the box at that time.

This is dumb. I won't even buy it to play roms from until it refreshes next year.

neuromancer2701

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]Consoles last ~7 years with solid graphics and performance. Costs between $400-700 new (next gen looking to be $400-500?)Ouya lasts 1 year.Ouya over 7 years = $700Next gen consoles over 7 years = $400-500ishSuddenly this awesome, new and affordable console isnt so great.[/citation]

If you take inflation into account it will probably be about equal. And the Ouya you have now with be a lot more modern than the 7 year old system.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
[citation][nom]neuromancer2701[/nom]If you take inflation into account it will probably be about equal. And the Ouya you have now with be a lot more modern than the 7 year old system.[/citation]

Not to mention that you'll have 6 used ouyas to sell :O

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]neuromancer2701[/nom]If you take inflation into account it will probably be about equal. And the Ouya you have now with be a lot more modern than the 7 year old system.[/citation]
Starting out you will have a console that is a generation behind in graphics (if not worse). A few years in will probably equalize some. In the last year or two you will be ahead of other consoles. But, the next new console will be coming out and you have spent more on your 7 Ouya's than the other people spent on their single console.

You also lack AAA titles of normal consoles in favor of "indy" or "casual" games.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Smartphones aren't even replaced in a year for the average person. They contract them from their provider for two years then get a "free replacement" when the contract's up. Clearly this device isn't going to change the Android game since it can't tolerate the dev window of a AAA title.

It also calls into question what a developer is supposed to aim for 3 years down the line. Are they going to create a title that maximizes the power of the Ouya 4 and alienate the audience of the Ouya 1 who didn't want to upgrade, or are they going to create a title that everyone on Ouya can use even though it's scaled down to the original's power level? With publishers all trying to maximize their profit, in most cases it will be the latter. This would then call into question a need for better hardware when the software is still built for the original. This hardware refresh rate just doesn't work.

Keep going Ouya. I can't wait until you eventually tank, if even just to prove once and for all that mobile games are NOT going to replace console gaming.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I feel like people are taking the annual refresh thing the wrong way. Sure there will a newer, slightly faster console next year, but does that mean you have to buy it? No. You can skip a year or two before your next Ouya purchase. Most developers wouldn't make it necessary to have a newer one anyway, probably just make the newer one support higher res textures, new graphic effects, etc.. not much different from the way PC games do with new Graphics cards and APIs like dx9,10,11, etc... some people buy a new graphics card every year, some people (like myself) wait about 2-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.