OUYA Launches to Lukewarm Early Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

neieus

Distinguished
I feel that this device holds promise but I'm not sure what the general public expected from it. The success for this device will be heavily tied to the mobile gaming market which is filled mostly with pickup and go mini games that really weren't mean for the big screen. It's promising to see that the device has sold well because it shows there's a market for this but then there's the upcoming competition from the Steam Box and a possible Google device. Once you consider the amount of money these juggernauts can throw into their product it might be over for OUYA before it really gets started.

Kusham

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
This thing is here for the long run. It takes time to saturate with developers. The potential is great, the price is right, the competition is slim as of now- no reason things won't pick up

kelemvor33

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I think the Ouya looks great for the Emulators and for XBMC. As for regular games, I guess that's the part that remains to be seen. I won't be buying one for the next couple months since there are also competitor products coming out that are very similar.

I hope the Ouya does well but they got off to a really bad start when their Kickstarter backers don't even have units yet and it's already being sold in retail. Many of the people who are responsible for this project existing are pretty pissed off and have turned into the biggest naysayers around. And it's all Ouya's fault since their communication sucks and they refused to admin anything ws wrong.

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Taking the legality out of it, this thing would probably be pretty cool if it could emulate most of the games that I had growing up on various systems. Being able to find a ROM for Nintendo (Super Mario Brothers, Testris, Punch Out, etc) and Sega, N64, etc games would make this a no-brainer pickup for me with the additional gravy of XBMC on top.

kelemvor33

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006

It can already do that.
Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euaQcXnBF60

ikaz

Distinguished
Yeah any one who bought this thinkin it could either replace/better than there current console (xbox 360/ps3/wii or wii U) in terms of gaming power are/were fools. Even in game selections and depth ps2/og Xbox/Game cube will always have better games (at least for the nex few years) than the Ouya and probably better graphics over all.

However assuming this can run Mame (too lazy to check) and other older console games from the 2d and very early 3d days (run it "good") then it make a very cheap emu box/Arcarde box.

Johmama

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Wait.

So you're telling me that people didn't like a piece of hardware that runs Android, yet can't install most Android apps, on which they get to sit down on their couch, in their living room, to play mobile games? Games that are running on their phones? Games that are meant to be played in 2-minute intervals, then dropped?

That's crazy, man.

Look, in all seriousness, I could have told you that it wouldn't do well. The IDEA is nice, but if you actually look at implementing it, how/when it'll be used, you see the fatal flaws.

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

The Ouya is not a "play your phone games on your TV" console. This is not the intent and never was.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
@neieus, when you say "The success for this device will be heavily tied to the mobile gaming market...", I don't agree. Because, there lies the rub. This device is not mobile. I can't use it on the train or in the doctor's waiting room. I can't use it in my lunch hour and I can't use it on the potty (not that I would). I have to use it like a console, and as a console I can't understand why I would need one. You see I have Android media boxes connected to my HDTV already. I could play Android games on the TV, but then I look at the PS3 and Xbox 360 next to it, and I think - well why would I?
I think mobile gaming as a whole can be quite succesful. I just can't see why the Ouya would be.

neieus

Distinguished

When I mentioned that the success would depend on the mobile games market I wasn't referring to it's mobility because obviously it doesn't have any but the method in which the games will most likely originate from. As you have said yourself you could play Android games on the TV but why would you want to do that when you have devices that were designed for that purpose. So while I agree with you mobile gaming is successful it is only successful because it's mobile. In my opinion the games you find in the market are equal to mini games with some exceptions such as Final Fantasy among others appearing in the Google Play market. I also feel that instead of placing it against PS3/4 or Xbox 360/Xbone the system we should compare it to is the Wii. I feel that the Ouya should be targeting the younger gamer market which would put it in competition with the Wii and right now Nintendo is vulnerable.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
OUYA is stupid. Most people who bought it probably thought it was Android compatible but it is not. Wait until they find out. Why would people need this when there are actual Android consoles coming, or you can just connect controllers and TVs to your Android tablets and phones or just play Android apps straight on your Android smart TVs.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I ordered one because I have a TV that needs XBMC. If it does that well I'll be happy. If I ever enjoy a game on it that'll be gravy. Small, presumably low electricity usage, affordable price, sounded good.

LordConrad

Distinguished
I'm happy with mine. It's not meant, or built, to compete with the PlayStation or Xbox, as long as you keep that in mind you'll love the system. Emulators galore, and all games are free to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.