Ouya Team Now Working With Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
By the time OUYA comes out, the NVidia Tegra-4 should be out. Already underpowered compared to the XBOX and PS3, will the masses embrace cell phone games? If OUYA is supposed to get 30% profit on each game sold from developers, couldn’t they subsidize better hardware?

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
JAWAC (just another weak a$$ console) to compete with sony and microsoft. I think I'll stick with my pc thanks. Though if you'd allow keyboard and mouse control (stupid thumb sticks) and the ability to upgrade the guts of the thing (crappy dx9 ports anyone?) I may consider a purchase.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
To everyone above. This is based on A-N-D-R-O-I-D! I other words it is not a closed platform and the hardware can be upgraded at any time like a PC. I other words when Tegra 4 comes out....No!...Problem upgrading the system. And don't think there will not be all kinds of mods on the market. This is an open platform so modders do not have to worry about licensing their HW. I would not count out big titles coming to this either.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
This would be cool for a kid you did not want on your PC and for one that does not have a PS/360. I like that you could travel with it. It would rock if you could connect it to a cheap tablet like the Fire. It seems geared to the TV.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]To everyone above. This is based on A-N-D-R-O-I-D! I other words it is not a closed platform and the hardware can be upgraded at any time like a PC. I other words when Tegra 4 comes out....No!...Problem upgrading the system. And don't think there will not be all kinds of mods on the market. This is an open platform so modders do not have to worry about licensing their HW. I would not count out big titles coming to this either.[/citation]
In essence, the selling points for this console are already offered by a PC, minus the $99 part.

While I find it impressive that the kickstarter project raised lots of funding so quickly, I'm going to pass on the tempting offer to throw in $100 so I can play angry birds on my TV.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]Wii is already selling for $130 with a game.[/citation]
And the Ouya will likely STILL have better graphics....and?

digitalvampire

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I hate that the developers think they can rangle in casual gamers with this. Do you want to know why people spend money on Android/iOS applications AT ALL? It's not because they make these awesome, innovative, gotta-have applications. It's because they are released to platforms that are literally attached to consumers at all times. Their phones. So now, we have the exact same product (ie, phone hardware) and remove the one reason most Android/iOS applications (especially games) sell at all.

I won't be buying, obviously, but this will be fun to watch. Oh, and with "things like assets for promoting on the console", these guys will make some change as well.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
The big difference from other consoles is the business model and the openness. For the user, no risk of being banned for modding your hardware. For 3rd party hardware OEMs, no license fees (ex: ~ $7 per 3rd party controller).

Will this model be successful? I don't know. However, it will be interesting to watch if this shakes up a stale industry.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]tegra 3 is too weak for a console imo.[/citation]

Agreed. And when you remember how much more Android consumes resources than your standard console OS, it gets even weaker.

Oh, and for everyone touting it as open. Sure, you can do with it anything you like, much as you can with a PC, but rooting it will disable official app-market, etc.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]To everyone above. This is based on A-N-D-R-O-I-D! I other words it is not a closed platform and the hardware can be upgraded at any time like a PC. I other words when Tegra 4 comes out....No!...Problem upgrading the system. And don't think there will not be all kinds of mods on the market. This is an open platform so modders do not have to worry about licensing their HW. I would not count out big titles coming to this either.[/citation]

That's "true" as also is that your android phone from 2 years ago can be upgraded with an Exynos or Tegra 3

Come on, really ??!!!

Open software is not open hardware, you can make any program you want put you can't play with it's hardware as if it was made like a LEGO. You can't unless you know a ton of electronics and have the original BIOS to play with, even so, not worth the time, better play with an FPGA.

CollegeisaScam

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
This is for kids. Wouldn't it be better to give your kid a 99$ device to play angry birds on, than a more expensive phone or tablet?

It is not meant for serious gamers. Much like Game boy. During Game Boy's time, it was very popular and very under powered.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]Agreed. And when you remember how much more Android consumes resources than your standard console OS, it gets even weaker.Oh, and for everyone touting it as open. Sure, you can do with it anything you like, much as you can with a PC, but rooting it will disable official app-market, etc.[/citation]
the console will likely ave its own market instead of the standard android market. if the team behind it is touting "itll be easy to root" I doubt theyll ban users who root the console. As for it being too weak, it really doesnt matter. this console is NOT competing with other android phones and tablets. its very much like the pc where people have a free will to develope whatever they want with it. and its very similar to other consoles because developers will be optimizing and making games for 1 chipset. indie devs will definitely hop on, and if were lucky we'd get good games on it.

also saw someone complaining about superiority of mouse and keyboard. you should know that alot of games suck when played with keyboard and are amazing when played with a controller.

Im a pc gamer myself, but I find it awfully irritating when I see pc fanboys raging on every console they see. I see them the exact same way as they see apple sheep. alot of the time have a point, but alot of the time are just pathetic.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]For $99 what are you expecting?[/citation]
lol great comment, I guess they are expecting 700 dollars or so of gaming pc hardware lol for a 100 bucks.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Don't look at it as an underpowered console, that's folly, this puppy is going to be wide open and going to do so much more than just play games.
I'm pretty sure this is targeted at us "old timers" that still love our retro gaming, like TG16, NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, and Playstation.
We get a cheap box that plays all of our old stuff, plus everything we play on our phones.
It's hackable.
Can you say media center with Android and retro games for $99?
That's a steal.
Trust me, this thing is going to be streaming videos over network no time flat, you're going to have full market access by the XDA teams in less than a week, and for the "touchy" games and apps, there's even going to be a way to add in an IMEI via software.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]the console will likely ave its own market instead of the standard android market. if the team behind it is touting "itll be easy to root" I doubt theyll ban users who root the console. As for it being too weak, it really doesnt matter. this console is NOT competing with other android phones and tablets. its very much like the pc where people have a free will to develope whatever they want with it. and its very similar to other consoles because developers will be optimizing and making games for 1 chipset. indie devs will definitely hop on, and if were lucky we'd get good games on it. also saw someone complaining about superiority of mouse and keyboard. you should know that alot of games suck when played with keyboard and are amazing when played with a controller. Im a pc gamer myself, but I find it awfully irritating when I see pc fanboys raging on every console they see. I see them the exact same way as they see apple sheep. alot of the time have a point, but alot of the time are just pathetic.[/citation]

Yes, own app-market, and it is already confirmed that if you root it, no app market for you. And yes, some optimization is possible thanks to uniformity, but the fact remains that Android is much more of a resource hogg than your average console-OS.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
I think the main point of this is lost on a lot of people here. The point of this console isn't to see if great titles can be written for the Tegra 3, played on a TV. The point is to see if a console can work with an app market in a style somewhere between Xbox Arcade and the Android App Market. As another stated the android market works primarily because you apps for a device with you carry. Attempting this with an open platform is the gamble.

Those saying this is underpowered... no. This is aptly powered first time out. The risk is in the content delivery method, not the Tegra 3... not @ $99. You don't come out swinging for the fences in the hardware space with a new, unproven business model. If it does work successfully then they can crank out a substantial hardware refresh as often as customers demand and the market will bare.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
So, I assume nobody is interested in putting a few emulators inside that console (from the most greatest gaming platforms ever made), watching 1080p video, listening some good tunes, and having the chance of turn it into a computer (if you want), for 99 bucks. Okay...

Status
Not open for further replies.