OUYA vs. GameStick: Android Game Consoles Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I bought my "game stick" the other day for $49.99. All ya need is a simple Android Stick PC. I went for the MK908ii - RK3188 (Quad-1.6ghz), 2GB ram, Mali 400, wifi bgn.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Will everybody please stop calling these consoles "Android consoles"?! They are not! It's misleading. Don't buy these stupid devices! Buy an actual Android console or Android device so you can actually use Android software with it.

spigias

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
"I went into GameStick and OUYA thinking okay, the walled garden will have to be right as rain. Deal with it."

Well i am sorry but i can't they have to do better than that

so what kind of device you considered as 'actual android console'?

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
"so what kind of device you considered as 'actual android console'? "

A device that runs the majority of Android software like the smartphones and tablets do, with out restrictions. With out that, they are just consoles that run on an Android OS.

It's like saying the Xbox One is a Windows console because it runs off the Windows kernel. Even if it did run off Windows OS more, and only played software for that specific console; calling it a Windows Console would imply that it could run most or all Windows software.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Well, they are android consoles (because you know: they are game consoles and run on android) ...just their quality is very low... like WII.. and yet there are people who buy that "thing".

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Game stick & outs are pathetic! First one is bild on soc that majority of set top boxes come with (smart TVs, video boxes, receivers) the Mali 400MP is good in of for MMC bat not for gaming. The second one comes with tagra 3 old soc that's worst cortex A9 implementation on the market & a relatively weak gpu. Bout of socs are now considered technologically two generations old (tagra5 & Mali T7xx).
I think that the next year cud really be a game changer for on soc integrated graphics. Firstly & mostly because for the first time memory bandwidth problem can be resolved on required power level with. Hybrid memory cube. On the other hand Mobile gpus will reach performance lvs of current mid range integrated solutions (Intel's 4000 - 4600 & sa

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Game stick & outs are pathetic! First one is bild on soc that majority of set top boxes come with (smart TVs, video boxes, receivers) the Mali 400MP is good in of for MMC bat not for gaming. The second one comes with tagra 3 old soc that's worst cortex A9 implementation on the market & a relatively weak gpu. Bout of socs are now considered technologically two generations old (tagra5 & Mali T7xx).
I think that the next year cud really be a game changer for on soc integrated graphics. Firstly & mostly because for the first time memory bandwidth problem can be resolved on required power level with. Hybrid memory cube. On the other hand Mobile gpus will reach performance lvs of current mid range integrated solutions (Intel's 4000 - 4600 & same lv apus).
In IP licensing most interesting ones are new Vivante cores & Imagination tech. On the other side there is NV & hopefully Amd will also enter the race (with they x86 or arm cores i couldn't care less) .
About Android games they actually are Linux (platform) games & i am referring to real serious 3D games & ports.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
I forgotten to add Qualcomm.
& to comment that good optimized bug free drivers will play main roll ho will be a winner! The best bet is on Nv & Imagination tech. Bat i really hope that Vivante will play this right because it is crucial that there is a licensed cheap competitive gpu IP core on market!

LordConrad

Distinguished
I have an OUYA and an ODROID-U2. I use the OUYA more often because it just works and I don't have to fiddle with it. That's why the ODROID products are sold as developer boards.

camccar

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I have netflix running perfectly on my Ouya. I dont know why you think it can't be side-loaded. I have not tried hulu plus but I hear it works great.

Candy Cab

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Bought an OUYA on launch and its a great fun toy that can offer a lot for the money. Its a fantastic Emu box and competent XBMC player Digital audio license issues aside. Wanted to point out that the fan doesn't actually pull or push air through the case as it is installed on the face of the Tegra 3 heat spreader, so its sideways in the middle lower half.of the case. mine gets pretty warm under load but even overclocked it hasn't been an issue. A 10x40 Noctua fan upgrade makes about a 12 degree difference, super quiet and offers a bit of piece of mind but its not necessary. For those who think these are crap etc try to sit down with one, you might find they can be a lot of fun, isn't that the point of gaming to begin with ? Instead of bitching about what every "Console" cant do try to enjoy what they can do. On the couch multiplayer has never been better.

aniketmule

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Apart from these two there is another console should be in the list i.e. NVIDIA Shield. for more information check this link http://www.gameraaga.com/list-android-game-consoles/

Status
Not open for further replies.