Over-boost the CPU fan of a non-gaming laptop

jcdumaguing226

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018
For some time now, I have noticed my laptop acting sluggish compared to when this was still brand new and after tinkering around with sensors, I found out that my laptop is thermal throttling. Tried changing the thermal paste and cleaning the fan but it does not work my CPU is still hitting around 80 to 95 and hits 100 when the GPU is active. My laptop is an ASUS X456U with a Core i5-6200U and GeForce GT940MX.

Laptop coolers have a hard time because of size and weight constraints.
You have done the right things cleaning out the cooler and airway paths.
I might have another go at repasteing the cooler.
Do not use too much paste as it will act as an insulator; that is a common mistake.
It is hard to use too little.
Also be careful to reseat the cooler evenly.

Is the cooler fan running at a decent rpm?

Is the air intakes/exhaust clear? Perhaps a inexpensive cooling pad might help.

If all else fails, use the power options to reduce the cpu power from 100% to perhaps 90%.

jcdumaguing226

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018
The fan is running at the maximum speed I guess due to its loud noise? Is there a third party app that could somehow like "overclock" the fan to run faster? The exhaust is sort of blocked (by design) because its located behind the hinge of the monitor :(

Your title says a non gaming laptop.
But, with a dedicated GT940MX, you have a gaming quality discrete graphics adapter.
If integrated graphics will suffice, switch from the discrete graphics adapter to the integrated.
The nvidia control panel will let you do this.

jcdumaguing226

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018

Been poking around the net lately turns out, I am not the only one with this issue and tbh I don't feel like its a "gaming" laptop though because of the awful thermals and for ASUS, its really a flaw by design to put the exhaust at the back of the hinge and only put a single fan that does not have any speed control feature to cool 2 hot potato chips that they knew will be an option for power users who are on a budget.