[SOLVED] Over Clocking 5600x

frosty2181

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
Just put in a 5600x with and MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi mobo. I've read overclocking this CPU for gaming may not be worth it. But I bumped it up to 4.4 ghz on all cores, and set mode 4 line, left the voltage at automatic (which seems to max around 1.32V) Plenty stable, and temps havent gone above 55 while gaming.

Trying to put the clock higher shows RED text in the bios, and windows couldnt load, 44 multiplier is where it stayed white text.

Curious if I'm damage the the CPU in any way, im coming from OCing my 7700k which i put at 4.8ghz at 1.3V, havent used AMD in a long time... just wondering if its safe at 4.4. Thanks!

Solution
Hey there,

4.4 is good result for all core. I'd suggest playing around with voltages. It could be possible to go lower than 1.32v. No, you won't damage the CPU with what you have done. If it was a bad OC it would just restart/crash, or not be stable.

But, I would add, unless you have a particular need for an all core OC, PBO often gives better results in terms of FPS.
Hey there,

4.4 is good result for all core. I'd suggest playing around with voltages. It could be possible to go lower than 1.32v. No, you won't damage the CPU with what you have done. If it was a bad OC it would just restart/crash, or not be stable.

But, I would add, unless you have a particular need for an all core OC, PBO often gives better results in terms of FPS.

Solution

frosty2181

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
Much appreciated... what is PBO? Thanks!

EDIT: ah nevermind i found it in the bios, its is set Auto. so would you suggest going to back to base clock and just enabling PBO? I also read about AutoOC but couldnt find that in the AMD Overclock bios menu...

I also see at 4.4 its stable at 1.1V, i tried doing 4.8 at 1.3V didnt take but i think i may have set something wrong, didnt bother to try again...

EDIT 2: So i left the case clock at 4.4 but i downloaded Ryzen Master and applied Auto OC, is that change permanent or do i need to apply it each time a reboot?

Last edited:
I have the same cpu and have toyed around in various ways with overclocking but by no means am an expert. As someone has mentioned, Ive found PBO in Ryzen Master the best way to overclock it but as stated also,you will sacrifice the cpu max boost to an all core overclock. When I let it run naturally, i see all the cores boosting to just above their advertised max speed, (boosting to 4.65Ghz,) so now Ive pretty much given up on OC'ing and just let it do it's thing.

EDIT: ah nevermind i found it in the bios, its is set Auto. so would you suggest going to back to base clock and just enabling PBO? I also read about AutoOC but couldnt find that in the AMD Overclock bios menu...

Yes, exactly. Note the performance and you can compare directly to the all core OC. PBO will nearly always win out. It's essentially an algorithm that determines how far each cores speed can go, based on thermal solution (cooler), mobo vrm's, and each chips best core. It works really well.

I have the same cpu and have toyed around in various ways with overclocking but by no means am an expert. As someone has mentioned, Ive found PBO in Ryzen Master the best way to overclock it but as stated also,you will sacrifice the cpu max boost to an all core overclock. When I let it run naturally, i see all the cores boosting to just above their advertised max speed, (boosting to 4.65Ghz,) so now Ive pretty much given up on OC'ing and just let it do it's thing.

Nice. I'm gonna upgrade my 1600x soon, and look forward to what these new chips can do :)

Reactions: kurdtnz

frosty2181

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
Gotchya, so what steps should i take to ensure i get the "boosting"? What should the bios settings be, should i just revert to stock, do i need to select some option in bios or ryzen master?

So far I have set, the CPU clock back to "auto", still on all core as that was the default, and I put ryzen master back to "default". Do i need to turn on the Gaming CPU boost in the bios?

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:
Gotchya, so what steps should i take to ensure i get the "boosting"? What should the bios settings be, should i just revert to stock, do i need to select some option in bios or ryzen master?

So far I have set, the CPU clock back to "auto", still on all core as that was the default, and I put ryzen master back to "default". Do i need to turn on the Gaming CPU boost in the bios?

Thanks for the help guys!
As I said, i dont bother anymore, all my settings are at stock or default. PBO can be enabled in BIOS but I only ever enable it with ryzen master and think it's set to auto in BIOS but unless Im running benchmarks to compare a few things, all my settings are on default and i dont use PBO for gaming. OC'ing and playing around with settings in BIOS is still something im not 100% comfortable with and i tend to leave it to the experts.

frosty2181

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
As I said, i dont bother anymore, all my settings are at stock or default. PBO can be enabled in BIOS but I only ever enable it with ryzen master and think it's set to auto in BIOS but unless Im running benchmarks to compare a few things, all my settings are on default and i dont use PBO for gaming. OC'ing and playing around with settings in BIOS is still something im not 100% comfortable with and i tend to leave it to the experts.
Gotchya, so with everything at default, I will get the boost automatically?

Reactions: kurdtnz
Gotchya, so with everything at default, I will get the boost automatically?
Yes. The algorithm will control all that. Also,I would make sure your power plan is set to 'amd ryzen balanced.' (in windows settings.) Another thing Ive noticed, when I updated my chipset driver, there is now a 'power slider' in the power plan, Im not sure if that's a new thing exclusive with these 5000 series processers?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

frosty2181

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
Yes. The algorithm will control all that. Also,I would make sure your power plan is set to 'amd ryzen balanced.' (in windows settings.) Another thing Ive noticed, when I updated my chipset driver, there is now a 'power slider' in the power plan, Im not sure if that's a new thing exclusive with these 5000 series processers?
hm i dont see "amd ryzen balanced" but the middle of the slider says "Better Performance", and Balanced is selected in additional power setting