[SOLVED] Over clocking CPU

Feb 20, 2019
I am wanting to overclock my cpu. I currently have an Intel I7 3820 at 3.6 GHZ that is water cooled also entire case is vented. How much could I get? what kind of settings would I need. And also Im running on 64 gigs for ram running at 1600 could I run them higher then 1600 safely? and is it worth it. I do alot of gaming and also use VR Oculus

Solution
That's good. Sometimes a bump in CPU clock speed helps as well when memory acts flaky.

Vents do not help with removing heat from overclocked systems. Fans help with removing heat from overclocked systems. If you do not have two intake and two exhaust fans of at least 90mm, with 120 or 140mm fans being much preferred, then I'd forget the idea of overclocking until you have those. If your radiator is front mounted and has two fans on it in an intake configuration, then you can disregard two of the fans and simply install two exhaust fans, one in the back and one in the top.

This is assuming you have a standard modern day case with a bottom mounted PSU. If you have a top mounted PSU, all bets are off and I'd probably not do anything...
Right out of the gate let's just say that for overclocking the memory above 1600mhz the return for the judicious amount of time you will spend configuring and testing, and retesting, and reconfiguring, and tweaking and tuning the speed and timings and voltage, the gains are not worth it unless you are simply trying to achieve higher benchmark scores. In real world usage, it's doubtful you'll see any meaningful difference by jumping to 1866mhz or by tightening up the timings. Just stick to the XMP profile unless you simply want something to do with your time, in which case, by all means, spend countless hours fiddling with your memory configuration like many of us have done just to find that it really made very little difference in the long run.

If you want to do that, I can certainly point you down the path, but there's a lot more to be gained by focusing on the CPU configuration than there is bothering with the memory. Plus, with that much installed memory it's VERY IMPROBABLE you'd ever find a stable configuration past the basic XMP configuration anyhow. I'm actually rather surprised that you're even stable at 1600mhz, if those sticks are all part of a 1600mhz kit, with what I'd assume must be eight sticks.

As for the CPU overclock, there may be some room there for gains. Much, maybe MOST, depends on the motherboard model, CPU cooler model and whether there is sufficient case airflow in regard to both intake and exhaust fans. If you don't have at least two front intake fans of 120mm or larger diameter, and two exhaust fans (Usually one rear and one top rear, or one rear and two top), then it's probably not even worth your time to attempt unless you're willing to invest the money necessary to ensure sufficient cooling not only of the CPU but through the case to help keep the motherboard voltage regulation components cool as well. Considering you have water cooling, some of the preferred requirements for the case fans will likely be absorbed into the presence of the radiator, which will take the place of some of the case fan requirements.

Knowing your exact motherboard model, exactly how many case fans, where they are, what size and models they are and the exact model of your water cooler would be very helpful in even trying to determine whether or not your system might be a good candidate for overclocking or not, or what would be recommended to add in order to try.

Also, "vented" doesn't mean much in this application. Active cooling is necessary for adequate cooling when overclocking. Venting is not generally a sufficient configuration depending on what is meant by that.

Feb 20, 2019
Yes I hear what your saying and yes they are 8 8 gig chips. Funny thing was it wasnt stable at its original configuration with no over clocking. 1600 chips at 1333. It would not post on startup. But when I switched to xmp on default timings running at 1600 ran perfectly no issues so far.

The cooling would normally be fine I have a fan on radiator on the make one 8n front and one on top and it's a full tower so also have room for more. Entire case has holes all over it which is what I ment by vented and I believe although you cant rely on that alone it certainly helps with cooling. Though I decided to put it on hold as I dabbled with it. I did notice problems with heat cause I had to unplug my top fan due to it makes alot of noise and barely turns so it's pretty much cuput. CPU was at around 60 degrees c but at times some cores hit 80 without putting any strain on it just idling. I was running a 3.6 at 4.6 seemed to be stable but heat was making me nervous. So think before I mess with it further i want to replace fan and fill up ever fan slot in the case pretty cheap to do and worth it for the added cooling capabilities.

That's good. Sometimes a bump in CPU clock speed helps as well when memory acts flaky.

Vents do not help with removing heat from overclocked systems. Fans help with removing heat from overclocked systems. If you do not have two intake and two exhaust fans of at least 90mm, with 120 or 140mm fans being much preferred, then I'd forget the idea of overclocking until you have those. If your radiator is front mounted and has two fans on it in an intake configuration, then you can disregard two of the fans and simply install two exhaust fans, one in the back and one in the top.

This is assuming you have a standard modern day case with a bottom mounted PSU. If you have a top mounted PSU, all bets are off and I'd probably not do anything beyond the stock configuration until you get a different case becase those case designs are not conducive to good thermal management unless you really know what you're doing and are willing to employ some serious modification skills in the process.

Regardless of what is done with it, if you do not have at least one exhaust fan installed, taking heat out of the case, and the PSU does not count, then you need to get one before you even use the system anymore.

Solution