Over Clocking Help

CrazyGaming

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I'm planning to get a 4790k and am wondering how much I can overclock it to without crashing.
I am also wondering what the best cooler is to overclock. Just slight like 4.2 to 4.4 GHz

Solution
Overclocking isn't guaranteed, each chip is different. You'll have to adjust the various settings like vcore and multiplier as well as watch temps and retest for stability as you make changes to determine what sort of overclock you can reach. The 4790k already reaches 4.2ghz by default (all 4 cores loaded) and up to 4.4ghz (single core max load) with turbo boost which is built in. Overclocking would be pushing for higher than that like 4.6, 4.7, 4.8ghz etc.

What cooler is best depends on how far you're considering trying to push the cpu. About the lowest budget/performing would be something like a cryorig h7 or h5 capable of handling a light oc, there are better coolers. It also depends on your case and how much room you have if...
Overclocking isn't guaranteed, each chip is different. You'll have to adjust the various settings like vcore and multiplier as well as watch temps and retest for stability as you make changes to determine what sort of overclock you can reach. The 4790k already reaches 4.2ghz by default (all 4 cores loaded) and up to 4.4ghz (single core max load) with turbo boost which is built in. Overclocking would be pushing for higher than that like 4.6, 4.7, 4.8ghz etc.

What cooler is best depends on how far you're considering trying to push the cpu. About the lowest budget/performing would be something like a cryorig h7 or h5 capable of handling a light oc, there are better coolers. It also depends on your case and how much room you have if considering larger air coolers like a cryorig r1, noctua nh-d14/d15, be quiet dark rock pro3, thermaltake true spirit 140 power etc.

Or there are aio coolers like h100i and others but it depends again on the case, what type of cooling it supports, where you can position various coolers. Just be sure to carefully follow the directions, a good number of people fight with aio's to get them set up properly. They attach easy enough but there's more involved than a heatsink/fan. Getting pump speed operating properly, potential for weak/underperforming pumps, air bubbles, leaks (low risk but a real one). They also have their perks, some people like the way they look, they're easier to transport if going to lan parties a lot or something like that.

Solution