Question Over clocking i5 4690k (new to OC) couple questions

Mar 12, 2019
I asked on forums before what i should upgrade on my computer for better fps in rust/other games. (here is the post if anybody is curious https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...aphics-card-or-just-buy-new-computer.3460243/).

So i have a Gigabyte GA-797X-Gaming 3 Intel Z97 motherboard which has a presets on OC. My temp cores are sitting all across the board roughly at 34-40°C under no load when i do play a game like rust it gets to 50-55°C on air cooling . I just put new thermal paste(AS5) on my CPU yesterday.

So i have a few questions.
Do i wait for the burn in time for arctic silver 5 200hrs?
What should my CPU temps be once i have OC i also turned on 80°C warning temp on my motherboard.
The settings in bios is something like 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% i don't know what is enough for what i want, rust seems to have high loads on my cpu 60-80%. (I think my CPU bottle necks my GPU) as well i dont know yet as i just installed this morning.
Should i turn my CPU fan up once i have OC.

Sorry if these questions are bit much just looking for more info i have read a article or 2 but i kinda don't trust my self to not F*** it up at this current point.

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
I used this guide as a start for my i5-4690K this weekend, ASUS B85M-G mobo, stock cooler. ASUS's Real Bench is more 'real world' testing than the heavy duty stuff (Gigabyte may have something similar but this'll work for all), so once I got through this a few times @ 4.4GHz on c1.25V, I was happy enough, temps on test c80C max. I started with what ASUS recommended with Optimal settings, in my case ASUS said 4.3GHz @ 1.223V with all settings chosen by them except I used XMP RAM profile for my 1600MHz DDR3. I worked upwards from there, just upping multiplier, ASUS picked settings. I fine tuned settings (voltage, fan speeds, RAM) once I hit temp/voltage wall.

To your Qs:

Silver- that's c10 days, no need to wait running it is part of the burn in process.
Temps- over 80C at load you should sit up and re-evaluate OC settings, you're getting into non-viable territory.
BIOS settings 20-100%, If that's for power I just left this on auto and focused on the OC # I wanted (I shot for 4.5GHz under 80C at load, settled for 4.4GHz in 60Cs at load, 30Cs idle). If fans I set Turbo to kick in on all of them over 60C. And for testing I put on Turbo all the time until I had some stability.

I loaded HWInfo at startup (HWInfo Settings->Show Sensors on Startup, and get it to run at PC startup) which I found most useful for CPU info and voltage/temps++. Put it on one monitor if you've got 2 so it's always available as you test. Happy hunting!

Mar 12, 2019
wow thank you for the reply i thought i was just going to try it blindly i think my max at load temp is like 55-57 already but ill try some stuff out today and see how the temps go and read that guide you linked thank you

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
You're welcome, I got a lot of help here, pass it on. FWiW having OC'ed a G3258 to 4+GHz a few years ago and this week upgraded to an i5-4690K, you can spend forever dancing around on the head of a CPU for a few extra MHz and running benchmarks for scenarios you're almost never likely to see.

Hence I found this guide most useful, real life benchmarks leveraging the work of some of the best engineers in the world in trying to automate (to extent possible) the OC process. It's not perfect- and every CPU is different- but it sure is a really handy head start and leg up.

I also found this handy, though it's more extensive- it has a link to some stats so you can see what others managed.

I'd be curious what you eventually settle on, since it might mean I dig deep for some cooling solution other than fresh air.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019
yea i think my temps will hit high maybe 60-75 which is what im worried about long life of my cpu untill i save for new cpu/mobo/ddr4. I am on ddr3 ram and sht atm so ill read up a bit more

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
Yeah, saving, with you there. I never worry about CPU life as long as I stay well clear of 100C and thermal shutdown. Touching 80Cs OK but not for long, if I ever approach 90C I stop whatever is going on. That's from owning a G3258 for 4 years at 4GHz and it still going strong, replacing that with an 5-4690K was like putting my horse down.

Looking at your original post, I'd get a new GC as best bang for $ improvement. That's the logic for my switch from old GTX 750 Ti, G3258 CPU on an ASUS H81M-Plus mobo. Changed mobo to ASUS B85M-G to allow for 32GB RAM (limited to 1600MHz though, yours goes up to 3200 OC) for c$50, i5-4690K for c$90, hoping to get a GTX1060 6GB or better for c$125+, all used on eBay. GC not exactly sure what I'll get yet, though prices used are coming down and I'll wait as long as I can for best bang for $.

DDR3 RAM you can overclock and tighten timings, but that's another story for another day...

Mar 12, 2019
yea i just picked up a gtx 1070 brand new for 450 nzd couple days ago already got it going but i play alot of rust its cpu heavy hit high loads when playing that game