Question Over current been detected from USB ports

James_283

Reputable
May 16, 2016
I built my PC about two months ago and made sure to carefully ground myself and follow close instructions on setting up the rig, it went perfectly. The PC has been working with absolutely no issues for 2 months and this morning it turned on for 15 seconds and shut down.

I turned on the screen to see that it displays an error message, saying that an over current have been detected in my USB ports and the system will shut down in 15 seconds to protect the motherboard.

I disconnected all the USB devices, same thing happens, plugged it into somewhere else in case the socket was an issue and the same error happens. I disconnected the front USB ports inside my PC and this error still happens.

Is this a faulty motherboard? It's an msi z390 tomahawk and is only two months old...

Edit: seeing in other posts that people are asking for power supply models, I have the EVGA supernova 1000W
Cpu: i5 8400 coffee lake
hyperx fury ram

All my parts are good brands and purchased as they're supposed to be reliable according to reviews

Last edited:

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Since it's a USB problem that happens because you have something plugged into the USB
What are your USB devices?
From what I understood, it also happens with all USB devices disconnected:

"I disconnected all the USB devices, same thing happens ..."

That would normally point to a physical defect on a USB port.

Ahh OK - then to make sure it is NOT a short, you are going to have to remove your computer from it's case and set it up on something not metallic.
See if it does the same.
If it does then its a motherboard RMA
If it doesn't then you have to check what could have been shorting out near one of the USBs.

James_283

Reputable
May 16, 2016
Ahh OK - then to make sure it is NOT a short, you are going to have to remove your computer from it's case and set it up on something not metallic.
See if it does the same.
If it does then its a motherboard RMA
If it doesn't then you have to check what could have been shorting out near one of the USBs.

I have just removed it from the case and running it on a wooden desk, just the cpu, psu, ram and mobo. It has been running perfectly for 10 minutes now, I believe the case is shorting it. Looking into a new case now. Any recommendations on a case for a msi MAG z390 tomahawk that fits an EVGA 1000W supernova PSU?

Was thinking: https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...atx-mid-tower-pc-case-black-10185997-pdt.html

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Make sure you use the pins to lift your motherboard up from the case. Don't install it directly on the case.
Also check all the motherboard usb slots for broken or bent pins. Maybe one of them is touching the shielding and the shielding might be touching the case.

James_283

Reputable
May 16, 2016
seems like My motherboard was not adequately suspended from the case, reinstalling it now. Thanks guys. Installing it straight into the case is not a smart idea, for anyone viewing this threat in the future, please remember to use the motherboard standoffs to suspend the motherboard

Reactions: McKeu