[SOLVED] Over current Have Been detected On your USB device

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I had a technician come test my PSU. Now my computer won't boot, and the error reads:

Over Current Have Been Detected On You USB Device. Computer will shut down in 15 Seconds.

I took out every USB device hooked up, but I still get the error.

The computer did boot once, but in Windows I got a message refer to a USB device, I think. So I had to re-boot and the USB an overcurrent issue came back. I cannot boot into Windows.

The tech said the prpoblem was dust in his original diagnosis, but when he brought it to me same error. he said he dusted it a sbest as could, so maybe not dust after all.

Any ideas?

System: CPU - i7 6700K
Board - Z170A M3 Gaming
RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:
Solution
usually this means that a device connected is drawing too much power from a particular USB port.
the few times i've seen it is was usually a USB hub with too many devices drawing too much power.

it may be a malfunctioning motherboard USB port either on the front or rear I\O or a header on the motherboard.

try disconnecting any case front panel USB cable running to the motherboard.
usually this means that a device connected is drawing too much power from a particular USB port.
the few times i've seen it is was usually a USB hub with too many devices drawing too much power.

it may be a malfunctioning motherboard USB port either on the front or rear I\O or a header on the motherboard.

try disconnecting any case front panel USB cable running to the motherboard.

Solution