Over provisioning on Samsung 850 EVO with partitions

vikrant1982

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hi Everyone,

My new PC currently has just one Samsung 850 EVO 250GB. There is no HDD for backup. I have two partitions, C drive - 80GB and D drive -152GB to keep my data seperate in case I need to format and re install the OS. I am looking at the over provisioning option in the samsung magician software and it says over provisioning can be enabled only for the last partition, in this case its D drive. If I enable it, the software sets aside some space from D drive and does not touch C drive. Does this mean that over provisioning is not at all enabled for C drive? Do I need to do something about it?

Solution
No, it's all good. That unpartitioned space is used by the controller to do it's background work for the entire drive, not just the last partition. Magician means that it can only take space away from teh last partition for OP, nothing more.
No, it's all good. That unpartitioned space is used by the controller to do it's background work for the entire drive, not just the last partition. Magician means that it can only take space away from teh last partition for OP, nothing more.

Solution