[SOLVED] Over-the-ear, closed-back headphones with velour pads

GVT

Dec 6, 2020
I am looking for a headphone for a very specific situation and could use some suggestions.
  • First of all, it must have very good noise isolation: not as much for me, but more for those in the same environment, whom I don't want to trouble with whatever I'm hearing. Therefore, I thought of a closed-back headphone.
  • Second, I live in a very warm weather, which reaches over 40°C (100°F) in summer, accompanied by high humidity. So, I need the headphones to be as breathable as possible, which kinda goes against my previous point... I have had on-ear headphones before, and found them to be incredibly uncomfortable at these temperatures, due to the contact between the padding and the ear skin, so I think over-the-ear devices are probably better suited to me.
  • Still on the topic of very warm weather, I have heard very good things about velour pads and think they could be a good idea. They seem to diminish sound isolation, but given I am thinking of closed-back devices, I believe the isolation would still be quite good overall.
  • I have no need for attached microphones nor for the headphone to be wireless, I am fairly happy being corded to my computer.
  • Finally, where I live the diversity of electronics found in stores is not great, and importing them is expensive and difficult. So, the more models are suggested as answer, the greater is the chance I can actually find one of them.
I list all requirements I thought of, and their respective motives, since anyone is open to question my deductions and make their own suggestions.

Solution
I am looking for a headphone for a very specific situation and could use some suggestions.
  • First of all, it must have very good noise isolation: not as much for me, but more for those in the same environment, whom I don't want to trouble with whatever I'm hearing. Therefore, I thought of a closed-back headphone.
  • Second, I live in a very warm weather, which reaches over 40°C (100°F) in summer, accompanied by high humidity. So, I need the headphones to be as breathable as possible, which kinda goes against my previous point... I have had on-ear headphones before, and found them to be incredibly uncomfortable at these temperatures, due to the contact between the padding and the ear skin, so I think over-the-ear devices are...

kanewolf

Titan
  • Second, I live in a very warm weather, which reaches over 40°C (100°F) in summer, accompanied by high humidity. So, I need the headphones to be as breathable as possible, which kinda goes against my previous point... I have had on-ear headphones before, and found them to be incredibly uncomfortable at these temperatures, due to the contact between the padding and the ear skin, so I think over-the-ear devices are probably better suited to me.
  • Still on the topic of very warm weather, I have heard very good things about velour pads and think they could be a good idea. They seem to diminish sound isolation, but given I am thinking of closed-back devices, I believe the isolation would still be quite good overall.
  • I have no need for attached microphones nor for the headphone to be wireless, I am fairly happy being corded to my computer.
  • Finally, where I live the diversity of electronics found in stores is not great, and importing them is expensive and difficult. So, the more models are suggested as answer, the greater is the chance I can actually find one of them.
I list all requirements I thought of, and their respective motives, since anyone is open to question my deductions and make their own suggestions.
Have you looked at the Sennheiser "DJ" headphones? Like the 280 Pro -- https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-280-pro
To get the velour pads you would have to swap -- https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Sennheiser-Urbanite-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B074NZW7MF

Solution
Closed back will be hotter, as long as you don't turn up the headphones too loud the Sennheiser sets are pretty good with large pads, the HD 559 is a reasonably priced set. Assuming you can't get one of the sets from Massdrop like the 58X.

Another option is the Phillips SHP9500 they are very light, comfortable and breathe amazing, but they are fairly open so you need to think about that a bit. As far as good sounding light headphones at a good price though, those are tough to beat. Not good for loud areas though.

GVT

Dec 6, 2020
Closed back will be hotter, as long as you don't turn up the headphones too loud the Sennheiser sets are pretty good with large pads, the HD 559 is a reasonably priced set. Assuming you can't get one of the sets from Massdrop like the 58X.

Another option is the Phillips SHP9500 they are very light, comfortable and breathe amazing, but they are fairly open so you need to think about that a bit. As far as good sounding light headphones at a good price though, those are tough to beat. Not good for loud areas though.

In terms of how breathable they are, both the Sennheiser HD559 and the Philips SHP9500 seem like fantastic options, being the Sennheiser even reasonably priced, but I think the fact that both of them are open-back is problematic: I work in a very quiet environment, and I think that people would be bothered by the sound...

The Massdrops are, indeed, a little pricey for me, but thanks for the suggestions!

In terms of how breathable they are, both the Sennheiser HD559 and the Philips SHP9500 seem like fantastic options, being the Sennheiser even reasonably priced, but I think the fact that both of them are open-back is problematic: I work in a very quiet environment, and I think that people would be bothered by the sound...

The Massdrops are, indeed, a little pricey for me, but thanks for the suggestions!

Yes if you are in a room with people close together, there may be a bit of sound leaking, but if you are worried about temps, a closed headphone will trap heat and sweat.

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x are good for closed, and I like the Cooler Master MH751, they are very comfortable, and even though they are a gaming style headset you can remove the mic and they sound great, also under $100.

D

Deleted member 217926

The 9500s are open back and I'd avoid the Sennheiser HD 5xx ( 559, 598CS etc ) series that are closed back.

The 280 Pro recommended above is a solid choice and you should also look at the 80ohm Beyerdynamic DT770s if closed back is a must. They should be available worldwide and are very often what musicians use in the studio. They tend towards the bright end of things though so if you're sensitive to treble make sure you audition them before buying.

As has been mentioned closed back will be much hotter but it's the only way to get real isolation.

GVT

Dec 6, 2020
The 280 Pro recommended above is a solid choice and you should also look at the 80ohm Beyerdynamic DT770s if closed back is a must. They should be available worldwide and are very often what musicians use in the studio. They tend towards the bright end of things though so if you're sensitive to treble make sure you audition them before buying.

Yes, I think the option that I liked the most up until now is really the 280 Pro, but I am having difficulties finding the Beyerdynamics around here

As has been mentioned closed back will be much hotter but it's the only way to get real isolation.

And yes, I am aware that I can't have both excellent sound isolation and being extremely breathable, but I do have to try!

GVT

Dec 6, 2020
After some thought, and many good suggestions, I am between
  • the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and
  • the Audio-Technica ATH M40x.

Both are closed-back, over-the-ear, with detachable cables and available at my location.
None of them come with velour pads, but these can be bought separately.
But what really has drawn my attention to these is their terrific lightness.
The only remaining question is how much I will be willing to invest on my next headphones...

D

Deleted member 217926

The M40X is on ear rather than over ear. The pads are small. They may call it over ear but unless your ears are tiny it's not. Also know that changing pads changes sound and not always ( or even usually ) for the better.

GVT

Dec 6, 2020
The M40X is on ear rather than over ear. The pads are small. They may call it over ear but unless your ears are tiny it's not. Also know that changing pads changes sound and not always ( or even usually ) for the better.

Yeah, that would be a deal breaker...
But when I search for replacement pads for both of them (since their respective sites do not seem to specify the pad size) I find values such as:
  • 102mm x 77mm for the Sennheiser and
  • 98mm x 78mm for the Audio-Technica.
At least with these measures, they do not seem to be so different...

TRENDING THREADS