[SOLVED] Overclock AMD FX 4300

Aug 2, 2019
I have A CPU that is called a AMD FX 4300 which sits at 3.8GHz I have it paired with a GPU called an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 TI 4GT OC. the motherboard I have is called an m5a78l-M plus/usb3. What is the best way to overclock this cpu it really holds me back on most games
(On A Budget)

Solution
I have A CPU that is called a AMD FX 4300 which sits at 3.8GHz I have it paired with a GPU called an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 TI 4GT OC. the motherboard I have is called an m5a78l-M plus/usb3. What is the best way to overclock this cpu it really holds me back on most games
(On A Budget)

Actually, you can overclock on that board pretty well...i overclocked a 6300 (6 core variant of the 4 core 4300) to 4.5Ghz for several years on an M5a88m which I'm pretty sure has the same 4 phase VRM setup with no heatsinks.

But thing is, while you should be able to "overclock" you won't increase performance in the long run. Reason is the motherboard (originally designed for Phenom series processors) BIOS lacks any means of disabling power...

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
To be honest Phenom X4 II 965+ has a higher single core
(On A Budget)

With a Stock cooler and that motherbaord, you shouldn't have a problem at all with reaching 4.0ghz "BLCK overclock", IF you have a decent aftermarket cooler "Hyper 212 Evo" you should be able to top out at 4.5ghz @ around 1.375v ore lower again that board will handle it without much of a fuss, if you scared then point a fan at the VRM's directly.

That's one of the many boards I use to own, yeah it's on the weak side for FX chips but it's not "OMG IT"S GONNA !@#% BLOW UP AND BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE"

Just give it a try and see what you get.

Boot to your BIOS
Go to the advanced tab
Change- CPU overclocking to MANUAL
Change- CPU ratio to x20.00 4000mhz
Change- DISABLED AMD Turbo Core

Save, Boot and test.... 👋

(On A Budget)

Actually, you can overclock on that board pretty well...i overclocked a 6300 (6 core variant of the 4 core 4300) to 4.5Ghz for several years on an M5a88m which I'm pretty sure has the same 4 phase VRM setup with no heatsinks.

But thing is, while you should be able to "overclock" you won't increase performance in the long run. Reason is the motherboard (originally designed for Phenom series processors) BIOS lacks any means of disabling power management on the CPU. When I OC'd on my M5a88 I had to run a utility at Windows bootup that would turn off processor power management.

Without turning off PM it will be constantly throttling itself to keep within it's TDP (which is 95 W, BTW). Therefore average performance over time will be about on par with the best a 4300 can do at stock frequencies even though it will pulse to pretty high clocks periodically and drop to pretty low ones. But the good thing is it will provide pretty good clocks and performance (for a 4 core bulldozer) a few seconds at a time which is frequently all that's needed in games. But you can expect occasional periods of glitchiness in CPU bottlenecked scenes when the CPU screams "ENOUGH" and throttles back.

Whatever you do, be sure to keep CnQ enabled or it will be running at 4.(whatever you settle on) even at idle and constantly throttling. You have to let the processor clock back when the workload lightens or it will actually degrade performance in lightly threaded apps.

Solution