[SOLVED] Overclock by temperature

Jul 20, 2021
I have an Asus Z490 and i9-10850k. I do some cpu intensive work sometimes that lasts about 15-30 minutes. I have turned on the AI Optimized overclock. While performing tasks the overclock throttles down to 4.9 while the temperature stays a cool 48-52 degrees. My previous set up, Z390 with i9-9900k and AI Optimize, would throttle back to 4.9 while maintaining 70-80 degrees. I am perfectly fine with the 70-80 degree range.

How do I further adjust the overclock to squeeze out more performance while capping at a higher temperature range?

Solution
If I'm reading ASUS's product literature correctly, AI Optimize overclocking only touches the maximum clock ratio. Which means that the processor is likely still adhering to its turbo boost table in some way (i.e., the clock speed goes down the more cores you load) You'll have to find something to force all the cores to boost regardless of load. I think ASUS calls this Multi-Core Enhancement or something.
Correct, Thermal Velocity Boost for > 2 cores loaded(?) is 4.8GHz.

I've fallen out of the loop. But IIRC, MCE only overrides the tau (time-limit) and maybe (?) the power limit to some extent for turbo boost lately. It used to set all-core turbo ratio to the single core ratio, but that's increasingly hard to achieve these...
Jul 20, 2021
Are you asking how to reduce CPU fan noise whilst still maintaining a ~70C CPU temp?

This would be in your BIOS settings under cooling/fan settings.
No, I don't care about fan noise. I don't want the overclock to throttle back as much as it is. I want it to only slow down enough to maintain a 70-80 degree range.

If I'm reading ASUS's product literature correctly, AI Optimize overclocking only touches the maximum clock ratio. Which means that the processor is likely still adhering to its turbo boost table in some way (i.e., the clock speed goes down the more cores you load) You'll have to find something to force all the cores to boost regardless of load. I think ASUS calls this Multi-Core Enhancement or something.

Jul 20, 2021
Thank you. I'm still doing some reading.

I've fallen out of the loop. But IIRC, MCE only overrides the tau (time-limit) and maybe (?) the power limit to some extent for turbo boost lately. It used to set all-core turbo ratio to the single core ratio, but that's increasingly hard to achieve these days with CPUs being pushed to their limits.

Clearly your cooling solution can handle higher frequencies than the auto/stock behavior can/will achieve, so you'll need to manually set per-core multipliers in the BIOS to go > 4.8GHz with "many" cores loaded. Tom's got 5.1GHz all-core at 1.3V core.

10850k%20freq%20temp_575px.png

^ From anandtech

Last edited:
Reactions: army11b1980
Solution
Jul 20, 2021

I've fallen out of the loop. But IIRC, MCE only overrides the tau (time-limit) and maybe (?) the power limit to some extent for turbo boost lately. It used to set all-core turbo ratio to the single core ratio, but that's increasingly hard to achieve these days with CPUs being pushed to their limits.

Clearly your cooling solution can handle higher frequencies than the auto/stock behavior can/will achieve, so you'll need to manually set per-core multipliers in the BIOS to go > 4.8GHz with "many" cores loaded. Tom's got 5.1GHz all-core at 1.3V core.

10850k%20freq%20temp_575px.png

^ From anandtech
Thank you!

Keep in mind that 4.8GHz to 5.1GHz is only a 6% increase. And that doesn't automatically mean that every game/application will run 6% faster. Keep that in mind relative to core voltage, temps, and fan noise. Everyone is always so gung-ho about a couple hundred MHz but fail to take a step back and look at the relative benefit they're getting.

Jul 20, 2021
Keep in mind that 4.8GHz to 5.1GHz is only a 6% increase. And that doesn't automatically mean that every game/application will run 6% faster. Keep that in mind relative to core voltage, temps, and fan noise. Everyone is always so gung-ho about a couple hundred MHz but fail to take a step back and look at the relative benefit they're getting.
Yeah. I'm definitely not looking to max out MHz. I understand that actual performance will peak and then degrade before max Mhz is reached. If I can get 5000-5050 without it throttling back, I'd be pretty happy.

Jul 20, 2021
Ok, so, What I've done.
-Enabled Multi-Core Enhancement. It says it removes limits.
-CPU Core Ratio, AI to Sync All Cores
-AI Tweaker\AI Features\Regulate Frequency by Threshold\Disable
-BLCK Freq to 102

What this has done for me is now I am at a constant 5100MHz. My idle temps went from 30-33 to 40-43. I'm ok with that. Under load, with what I'm doing for "load", temps range from 68-73. Very noticeable difference in performance and temps lower than what I was expecting. I think I'll call it good for what I need it to do.

Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility will allow you to experiment with your chosen all-core clock speed turbo, which you can adjust up or down in 100 MHz increments, with or without any AVX offsets, core voltage adjusts, power l/boost duration limits removed, etc...

Before making any changes, I'd see (via HWMonitor) what clock speeds you are hitting/maintainingg after two or three minutes elapses.

Jul 20, 2021
Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility will allow you to experiment with your chosen all-core clock speed turbo, which you can adjust up or down in 100 MHz increments, with or without any AVX offsets, core voltage adjusts, power l/boost duration limits removed, etc...

Before making any changes, I'd see (via HWMonitor) what clock speeds you are hitting/maintainingg after two or three minutes elapses.
I looked briefly, I didn't think the ETU was available for the Z490/i9-10850k. I will have to look again.