Overclock causes high ping?

Mar 28, 2018
I overclocked my i5-8600k to 4.7 Ghz at 1.25V, everything was fine and temps were good (30C) until I tried playing csgo and my ping was well over 500ms and kept increasing. My normal ping is usually below 20 in csgo. I set the cpu back to stock frequency and got my normal ping. Did I do something wrong or is it a bad motherboard or bad cpu?
I5-8600k
Hyper 212 Evo
Asus prime z370-p
16gb ddr4 ripjaw 2133
Gtx 1060 6gb

Solution
Shot in the dark but are you using inboard NiC or pci ethernet\wifi? Run the OC and then run CMD as admin and try this:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

To set back to default:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

You can also sync internal clock or target new server try doing this if above doesnt work:

net stop w32time

w32tm /unregister

w32tm /register

net start w32time

w32tm /resync /nowait

Restart machine

Still doesnt work, just trust me it's a time issue maybe with pci bus frequency but I'll help as much as I can. If above doesnt work PM me with your email address and I'll send you a link and we can start a online meeting using my citrix account or webex

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
Well, not normally. Maybe the OC has some instability to it. Did you save your setting so you can switch back and forth? Set everything back to default and check your ping again.

Mar 28, 2018

yea i set everything back to default and my ping goes to 19

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
Shot in the dark but are you using inboard NiC or pci ethernet\wifi? Run the OC and then run CMD as admin and try this:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

To set back to default:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

You can also sync internal clock or target new server try doing this if above doesnt work:

net stop w32time

w32tm /unregister

w32tm /register

net start w32time

w32tm /resync /nowait

Restart machine

Still doesnt work, just trust me it's a time issue maybe with pci bus frequency but I'll help as much as I can. If above doesnt work PM me with your email address and I'll send you a link and we can start a online meeting using my citrix account or webex

Solution

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
I'd be interested in seeing some data on some before and after. Like ping a few servers online, your own router, maybe run speedtest.ney and Google speed test, then OC and repeat.

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
Or check your bios settings for any mistakes OCing your cpu. Make sure you followed best practices and nothing is set to auto, high, on or off that shouldn't be. Sometimes a checkbox, ", .001v or even dust can mean the difference in stability and performance.