Overclock Damaged PC?

_MrLilNik_

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
Hey Everyone!
Last October I decided that I wanted to overclock my Intel 6600k I was not thinking straight that day and was not writing down numbers, typing numbers mindlessly and I put the vCore too high and it just crashed with a blue screen. Immediately I set my bios settings to optimized defaults and never touched it again, never had the time. Ever since then my performance has been very slow from before.I remember I tried to fix it thinking it was a software issue after trying so many different things to find out, I just went above and beyond and I reset windows 10 I was tired of it, Still slow... I am desperate to fix this issue I use it for projects for work, but I need help from you expert's as I don't know where the issue consists CPU,Motherboard,Drives,Ram??
That is what goes through my head. Thank you and feel free to ask any questions, I would very much appreciate the help! :)

Full specs -
Intel 6600k
Gigabyte Z170N Mini ITX
Kingston 16gb DDR4 2400mhz
EVGA 780ti
EVGA 600w PSU
CM 212 EVO
sandisk 240gb ssd
WD Blue 1tb Hard Drive

Well it's doubtful that you damaged your CPU by cranking the VCORE too high, yet it still runs, but slowly. So what VCORE did you enter? Next, what are your settings now? Perhaps you have your "turbo" disabled? Perhaps you have it underclocked now?

_MrLilNik_

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

I believe I was trying to enter 1.275 but then entered 2.75.. settings are back to default at under 1.3v and 3.5ghz with turbo up to 3.9ghz. Also my cpu usage has been high when I load a page on chrome I could see jumps up to 35% usage not sure if that is normal.
Thanks for the reply!

First thing I would do is try and eliminate the OS, I assume you are running Windows? I would download a version of Linux, such as Linux Mint, and install that to a USB drive, or DVD and boot that up and see if your PC all the sudden runs faster. Generally the USB drive is a better idea as it will run faster than the DVD. Just to make sure it's not the OS. Still a slow down, this would point to a hardware issue. (Note this isn't installing anything, it's just running from the USB drive, when you shutdown Windows and everything is still there) When you boot up, surf the web with Firefox, that sort of thing, see how it reacts.

Have you tried any stress tests in Windows? Will your CPU run Prime 95?

_MrLilNik_

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

Just got back from linux and i could tell that it was a lot more smooth and fast. Could it be windows I've already reset windows with the reset feature.. Maybe the drives? Let me know what you think, thanks for the reply!

I don't ever fully trust the reset, vs. a clean install. I doubt your drives were harmed. You also have to realize Linux is a bit more light-weight than Windows, and will tend to run faster in general.

I would try a stress test such as Prime 95, then if it runs that OK, I think I would try and clean install. As much as a pain as it is to re-install everything, many times it solves lots of problems. If you have a second hard drive, you could always create an image of of your current hard drive to go back to if the clean install does not solve your problem. There are free open source programs to do this with, such as CloneZilla (But you need a second hard drive) (It's Linux based, but works fine on Windows based systems to create images, and restore images).

If it runs the stress test ok, it's likely it's just software, and you're likely just being paranoid. Generally an incorrect Vcore, crashes so quickly it'll fail to boot before any real harm is done. Especially since your PC is working. If you put double the voltage to the chip, and it actually hit the chip, and ran for any length of time, I would think it would have likely fried something.

_MrLilNik_

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

Sorry for not responding for some time had work.. I have a free day today and I will do a clean install, and I'll get back to you thanks for the advice, with all my heart appreciate it!