[SOLVED] Overclock G Skill Trident Z - Help.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Hi,

What is the safe temperature for DDr4 ? I have some Trident Z RGB,I've OC them a bit and I was wondering about temps on this kit.

During gamin on Red dead redemption 2 the ram went up to 52c. I got a BSOD so I went back to stock XMP but seems that the temps were quite similar and i was wondering if it was nprmal

Also those are the results of the OC, managed to get it to 4000 but latency wasn't getting a lot more lower so I left it at 3733. Apparently even at 3733 it's not stable since i got a BSOD, haven't time to do a proper memtest yet

Bench at 3733 : https://www.casimages.com/i/200601030406994884.png.html

Timings at 373 : https://www.casimages.com/i/200601030242214835.png.html

Bench stock xmp : https://www.casimages.com/i/200601030242146281.png.html

Also here are my other bios settings with the ram at 3733. What could be wrong?
Also, is it really worth it to OC the ram from 3466 to 3733 or 4000 ? I do mostly gaming but also a bit of graphic design and video editing.

thanks
MANUAL PROFILE 5GHZ

ADVANCED FREQUENCY SETTINGS

CPU Base clock 100
CPU upgrade : auto
CPU vcore : 1.25
Enhanced multi core performance disabled
CPUclock ratio 50
Uncore ratio : 47
Ring down offset : disabled
AVX offset :0
FCLK frequency for early power on : 1Ghz
XMP : profile 1
Vt-d disabled

Advanced cpu core settings
Intel Speed Shift Technology: enabled
Intel turbo boost technology : enable
C state : disabled
SpeedShift : enabled
Turbo per core limit control : auto
Turbo Power limits ; maxed
Active turbo rations ; all 50
Voltage optimisation : auto

ADVANCED VOLTAGE SETTINGS
Advanced power settings
CPU VCORE Loadline calibration turbo

CPU core voltage control
VCCIO 1.20
CPU SA : 1.25
Dram voltage : 1.40
Dram frequency : 3733
CPU current limit 255
Cpu vcore PWM switch rate : 300
CSM : disabled

Thanks !

Thanks

Okay, how about we backtrack a little bit. "Trident Z" is very vague, what were the XMP frequency, timings, and capacity of the ram? Did you look at what IC it is in Thaiphoon Burner? What were your timings at 4000Mhz? What are the rest of your system specs?

Temps aren't everything when it comes to stability, though 52C can be a tad high, depending on the IC. Frankly, if you "don't have the time" to do a proper memory stress test, you should wait until you do, before OCing ram. Proper stress testing is very important, and failing to do so can lead to more BSODs, and some system file corruption over time.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
It's a F4-3466C16Q-32GTZR kit
It's said bdie in typhoon
For the rest I have
I9 9900K
2080ti
H500m case
H150i aio
Corsair RMI 850 psu

I went back to an auto xmp profile for now but I read that oc ram isn't really worth it especially on intel chip is that right?

I went back to an auto xmp profile for now but I read that oc ram isn't really worth it especially on intel chip is that right?
Whether its worth it is subjective, but if you havent already, I highly suggest OCing your CPU first, as that will generally get you more gains on intel.
That said, there are gains to be had with a ram OC, if you are willing to put aside a day or two to go through and really fine tune your ram.

Nice.

I should add though, that the gains with ram overclocking on intel isn't really going to be noticeable outside of benchmarks in most real world gaming scenarios. You'll start noticing the difference at really high framerates, like 240+ where CPU frametimes need to be very low.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I see.

I just did another Occt by the way to be sure my cpu is ok at 1.25
1h Avx 2 Large files
No errors : max temps 83c core max, average 69

Cinebench R15 score : 2130
Cinebench R20 score : 5180
Bot done with real time process, i was told i was supposed to do it that way?

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Might be hard for me to do tests that longs I work from home and can't leave the pc on at night for noise. I'll see. And occt large data avx 2 is enough? Or should I do something more rough?