Question Overclock Gskill Trident Z 3200mhz RAM in Asrock B 450 Steel legend to 3200mhz

barath66kumar66

Prominent
Dec 10, 2018
Hi guys,
I am a beginner in PC building need to over clock my ram to 3200mhz. The specs are given below. I cannot able to find a answer or an forum or an video regarding this. Kindy help. Thanks in advance!

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler)
B 450 Asrock Steel legend
Gskill tridentz 1x16GB 3600 running at 2666
Corsair 550w 80+bronze
Azus Dual Advanced RTX 2060 6 GB
Coolermaster MB511 RGB
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500 GB
WD HDD 1 TB

You don't need to "overclock" anything.

"Overclock" is really a misnomer when it comes to running sticks at the RATED speed set by the manufacturer. Overclocking generally is intended to mean configuring something to run at a higher clock speed than what was intended by the manufacturer and while running memory at 3200mhz on most boards is technically an "OC", it really isn't. All you need to do, normally, is go into the BIOS setup program for your motherboard and enable the memory XMP profile.

I can tell you right now, that you would have been much better off with 2 x8GB than with 1 x16GB, because you are:

1. Not going to see the benefits of dual channel operation, which doubles your memory bandwidth.
  2. Likely going to run into compatibility issues if you try ADDING another 16GB stick at some point so you CAN benefit from dual channel operation, because with high speed kits especially, running mixed memory (Meaning any sticks that did not come specifically, together, in one kit, tested to be compatible at the factory), there is a much higher possibility that they will not "play nice" together.

barath66kumar66

Prominent
Dec 10, 2018
You don't need to "overclock" anything.

"Overclock" is really a misnomer when it comes to running sticks at the RATED speed set by the manufacturer. Overclocking generally is intended to mean configuring something to run at a higher clock speed than what was intended by the manufacturer and while running memory at 3200mhz on most boards is technically an "OC", it really isn't. All you need to do, normally, is go into the BIOS setup program for your motherboard and enable the memory XMP profile.

I can tell you right now, that you would have been much better off with 2 x8GB than with 1 x16GB, because you are:

1. Not going to see the benefits of dual channel operation, which doubles your memory bandwidth.
  2. Likely going to run into compatibility issues if you try ADDING another 16GB stick at some point so you CAN benefit from dual channel operation, because with high speed kits especially, running mixed memory (Meaning any sticks that did not come specifically, together, in one kit, tested to be compatible at the factory), there is a much higher possibility that they will not "play nice" together.
when i switch the xmp it sits on the same speed no change. I just want to run it at 3200. Its enough.

So, in the BIOS, enable the XMP profile. It might be called something different like "AMP" or "DOCP", but there will be an option to enable the memory profile in the BIOS and you need to do so. After doing so you can manually then change the memory speed to 3200mhz, or 3400mhz, or 3466mhz, if you wish for it to not be at 3600mhz or if it has problems at 3600mhz, and then save settings and exit BIOS. Sometimes it takes a few attempts and some trial and error to get memory to work properly if there are problems, so going back into the BIOS and fiddling with the memory settings more than once might be necessary.

Just to be clear, G.Skill does not make a Gskill tridentz 1x16GB 3600 product.
Perhaps you have:
F4-3600C19S-16GVRB Ripjaws V DDR4-3600MHz CL19-20-20-40 1.35V16GB (1x16GB)

or

F4-3600C19S-16GSXWB Sniper X DDR4-3600MHz CL19-20-20-40 1.35V16GB (1x16GB)

Ryzen 5 3600
Memory controllerMemory channels: 2
Supported memory: DDR4-3200
DIMMs per channel: 2

It is difficult to determine what XMP profiles an unlisted product has.