[SOLVED] Overclock i5 9600k to around 4.9 ghz but the temp is 77 at max

zachUVA

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
I have an i5 9600k and I tried to overclock it. It was my first time so I tried 5 GHz but wasn't stable so went down to around 4.9 GHz with 1.36v. I have a Coolermaster 120mm liquid cooler running at full speed. But I am getting around 77c during the cinebench test and about 45c at idle. Is it normal? Also, can someone help me with overclocking to 5ghz? I heard that it is possible but, I don't know why it is unstable or will it be ok to stop here?

Solution
I would stop there personally. Im sure you can get 5.0ghz but if it's unstable at 1.36v you will likely need more voltage or a higher level of LLC to get 5.0ghz stable. 77c load temps are fine. 45c idle temp is a bit high, more than I would expect considering load temps, but not unsafe. Is the ambient air temp rather high where your computer is? Or do you have rather poor case airflow?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I would stop there personally. Im sure you can get 5.0ghz but if it's unstable at 1.36v you will likely need more voltage or a higher level of LLC to get 5.0ghz stable. 77c load temps are fine. 45c idle temp is a bit high, more than I would expect considering load temps, but not unsafe. Is the ambient air temp rather high where your computer is? Or do you have rather poor case airflow?

Solution