ZZUBAK

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I am new to overclocking, but I would like to give it a try. These are my specs: 1. Intel i7 860 2. Biostar TP55 MOBO 3. GE-FORCE GPU with 1 GB memory 4. 450 w power supply I need my PC to handle editing of AVCHD files with Studio Pinnacle 12. I would appreciate any input. Thanks

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Found this on another site. Google is your friend.

This guide will show you how to overclock your LGA-1156 processor. Please note you must know how to operate your BIOS easily. If you don't know what that is, or how to find your overclocking section, google it, search threads here,

Terms

First off, you will need to know these terms:

-VCore is your processor core voltage. Increasing this will supply your cores the power they need to operate at the frequencies you overclocked them to.

-VTT (also known as QPI/DRAM) is your processors IMC voltage (Integrated memory controller) Increasing this will supply the power needed for the IMC to operate at higher frequencies.

-BCLK is your base clock. Increasing your base clock usually increases your CPU core clocks, your memory and a few other clocks. BCLK is also known as base clock, Bclock, and CPU Frequency setting (on evga boards) This is basicly what your going to use to increase your speed on your I7 860

-Multiplier is just a multiplier that determines the clock speed for whatever it is tied to. For example, your CPU multiplier determines what your CPU core clock speed is using this formula: Base clock * multiplier

-vPLL or PLL is your clock generators voltage. You will learn this is very important soon.

-vPCH is your Platform Controllers Hub's voltage. this isn't very important most of the time, however.

-vDIMM is your RAM's voltage. You usually want to keep this near what the ram is specified for. If you've got a 1.65 volt kit, then you should only go to about 1.68 or so when overclocking. Any higher and the ram might not work. Although you shouldn't really need to change it from 1.65 anyway.

-PCI-E clock is your PCI-E bus's clock. Sometimes when overclocking, increasing the PCI-E clock can help with stability.

I will mention other terms in the guide.

Overclocking

First off, you should get used to your motherboard BIOS's overclocking section. To find this, usually look for Frequency/voltage control, or something that lets you change voltages. (just look around) Some motherboards may use RAM multipliers, some may use ram ratios. Some may have voltages called different things. Right now, i do not quite know every BIOS's alias for the settings, so if you have a question about that, just ask.

Before we start, keep this in mind: NOT ALL CHIPS ARE CREATED EQUALLY. You cannot expect every chip to hit 4GHz or whatever clock. There is NO formula to figure this out. Only way to find out is just try yourself. We can't guess how high it is going to go.

Lets get started.

We'll jump right to 4Ghz. To get to 4GHz, set your base clock to 191 and your multiplier to x21. I'm going to be using my EVGA P55 FTW for this. In the BIOS, BCLK is named "CPU frequency setting". CPU Multiplier is named "CPU multiplier setting".

Next we will set the voltages. Please note that these voltages may or may not work with your processor. If your system does not start after applying these settings, raise CPU Vcore. if it won't boot after 1.4, then put it back to 1.35 or whatever you used and raise CPU VTT. Then CPU PLL, and then possibly vDIMM.

For Core i5 Set your voltages to:
-CPU Vcore @ 1.35
-CPU VTT @ 1.225 or whatever it takes for your ram to be stable.
-CPU PLL @ 1.800 or if not stable, raise higher

For Core i7 8XX set your voltages to:
-CPU Vcore @ 1.42 (please read warning at the bottom)
-CPU VTT @ 1.225 or whatever it takes for your ram to be stable.
-CPU PLL @ 1.90-2.0

Next, go into your BIOS's CPU configuration menu. Disable these features:
1. Speedstep (EIST) and Turbo Mode
2. C1E
3. C-STATES

After that, enter your BIOS's Memory Configuration menu. Make sure your ram is operating near its stock speeds. @ 191 Base clock, it is usually operating a bit slower than its stock speeds. Make sure all of your RAM's timings are at what they are specified for by your vendor. If you have not done already, make sure your vDIMM (ram voltage) is set to what your RAM is specified for.

Now you're done. look for "save settings and exit" or anything like that and press enter. Your computer will shut down, and hopefully start up normally. Start windows as usual.

If you get a blue screen, shuts down without warning, or windows hangs at any point, just restart your computer and go back into the BIOS and follow the instructions I mentioned above the voltage settings.

Once logged in, download these applications:
CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
LinX http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=201670
Realtemp beta http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...alTempBeta.zip

Open CPU-Z to monitor your overclock frequencies + CPU vcore. Press validate so you can prove/show that you got those clocks. Keep CPU-Z open along with the other programs.

Next open realtemp beta. (realtemp.exe not realtempgt.exe). You will use this to monitor your temperatures. You want your core temperatures to stay under 85c. Remember: Idle temps are useless. They are very inaccurate.

Stress Testing

Stress testing option 1:

open LinX and run about 50 runs using all of your memory. (e.g. 4GB).

When done, open Prime95 and run 8-12 hours of each test. (blend/large FFT/small FFT) to ensure stability.

Stress testing option 2 (much faster);
open linx and run 10-20 runs using all of your memory (e.g. 4GB)

Once done, open prime95 and run about 4-6 hours of blend test, and a hour of large FTT and small FTT (if you want)

Monitor temperatures when running prime95 and Linx, as they will make your CPU very hot most of the time. Again, stay under 85c. If it is over 85c, then tone down your overclock, make sure your cooler is properly seated + TIM is applied right or buy a new cooling solution. Remember higher temps will bring instability. Past 85C or so, it won't be stable, and it will throttle itself down (dropping the multiplier/voltage a few notches). There isn't really a risk when you go above 80c.

If everything went well, give yourself a pat on the back. Run some benchmarks, compare your results to stock clocks, play a few games, whatever! Enjoy your new overclocked experience.

WARNINGS:
Users with the Foxconn 1st Generation LGA-1156 sockets: You might damage your processor by using too high core voltages. Even if it says extreme overclockers, there is still a risk of your processor/socket getting damaged.
To check what socket you have, just look on the socket itself. You may have a LOTES or another kind of socket. If you don't have a foxconn socket, then don't worry.

Update 1: After reading a bit, it appears this is about the current, not voltage. I'm no electrician.... but if you need help, create a new thread or ask here.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3661

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Also you should disable speedstep and turboMode Tech in your bios if your going to be overclocking. Also keep in mind that the higher you clock your cpu the more heat its going to produce and the more Power(watts) its going to use. I dont know but 450w power supply seems a little on the low side to me.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

well i would try to overclock first, if then your system is crashing it could be possible that its not getting enough power. I wouldnt jump the gun before testing out some minor overclocking first. It all depends on how high you plan on overclocking. But a higher power supply couldnt hurt, specially if you plan on upgrading to a more powerful video card in the future. 600w power supply would be good.