[SOLVED] Overclock is not increasing performance + lower performance overall ?

Apr 25, 2021
Hello everyone,
I have a recently upgraded PC including an ASUS RTX 2060 6gb, Ryzen 5 2600, 2400mhz 16gb G.Skill Aegis, with an MSI B450 GAMING MAX PLUS WIFI mini itx MoBo.

I have been playing COD Warzone recently quite a lot on my 165hz 1440p monitor, and realized some things in my performance settings. I was only averaging about 90 fps on 1440p med/max settings on stock component settings with NVIDIA DLSS on ultra performance which (correct me if i'm wrong) seems a bit low for my system specifications. As a result of this, I looked up tutorials on how to overclock components, and OC'd my GPU clock speed, and power on Afterburner and increased my CPU frequency from 3.4 to 4ghz in bios.

Even after all this, I still barely increased my fps maybe by only 4-5. I even lowered my settings in game to 1080p/low, played around with DLSS and still, not too much of a difference in my fps. I started to wonder if maybe my ram speed was somehow bottlenecking my components back? I doubt this however because based on some research, it looks like ram speed shouldn't effect FPS too much.

I have no problem upgrading the ram but if its not the problem or something is there that I am missing, any help would be appreciated. (I'm not too savvy with overclocking/clock speeds/bios/etc but I appreciate the help, thank you.)

Solution
I doubt this however because based on some research, it looks like ram speed shouldn't effect FPS too much.
Actually Ryzen CPUs, especially the older models, don't perform at their best unless you have good RAM speed (3200 recommended). This is because unlike Intel CPUs, their interconnects, or Infinity Fabric as AMD calls it, is tied to RAM speed. So you're going to get more latency with low RAM speed.
Apr 25, 2021
Hello everyone,
I have a recently upgraded pc including an ASUS RTX 2060 6gb, Ryzen 5 2600, 2400mhz 16gb G.Skill Aegis, with an MSI B450 GAMING MAX PLUS WIFI mini itx MoBo.
I have been playing COD Warzone recently quite a lot on my 165hz 1440p monitor, and realized some things in my performance settings. I was only averaging about 90 fps on 1440p med/max settings on stock component settings with NVIDIA DLSS on ultra performance which (correct me if i'm wrong) seems a bit low for my system specifications. As a result of this, I looked up tutorials on how to overclock components, and OC'd my GPU clock speed, and power on Afterburner and increased my CPU frequency from 3.4 to 4ghz in bios. Even after all this, I still barely increased my fps maybe by only 4-5. I even lowered my settings in game to 1080p/low, played around with DLSS and still, not too much of a difference in my fps.
I started to wonder if maybe my ram speed was somehow bottlenecking my components back? I doubt this however because based on some research, it looks like ram speed shouldn't effect FPS too much.
I have no problem upgrading the ram but if its not the problem or something is there that I am missing, any help would be appreciated. (I'm not too savvy with overclocking/clock speeds/bios/etc but I appreciate the help, thank you.)

I doubt this however because based on some research, it looks like ram speed shouldn't effect FPS too much.
Actually Ryzen CPUs, especially the older models, don't perform at their best unless you have good RAM speed (3200 recommended). This is because unlike Intel CPUs, their interconnects, or Infinity Fabric as AMD calls it, is tied to RAM speed. So you're going to get more latency with low RAM speed.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Apr 25, 2021
I see, so would this have a huge impact on making up for the fps not seen during gaming? Even when I change my resolution to 800x600 I still only get about 95 fps, so higher speed ram would fix this?

I see, so would this have a huge impact on making up for the fps not seen during gaming? Even when I change my resolution to 800x600 I still only get about 95 fps, so higher speed ram would fix this?
I can't guarantee it will fix it, because other factors could be playing a part, but it should speed up information transfer between CPU and GPU, because the rendering data the CPU calculates before sending it to the GPU is stored in RAM before it's sent. Some games may take advantage of it more than others. Theoretically you should see an improvement, how much is hard to say. The good thing is DDR4 RAM is pretty cheap now.

Apr 25, 2021
Also you didn’t say if the RAM was 1x16gb or 2x8gb? You want 2x8gb for dual channel mode.
Yes, my ram is dual channel 2x8gb. I wonder if my power supply has anything to do with the issue because it is only 550w, and I wonder if its possible the components are using less power than they should be, which in turn gives less fps+not much increase on lower settings.