Question Overclock issue Xeon W3670 on ASUS P6T SE

Daniel_pt

Commendable
Apr 11, 2020
Im in need of help.
So I bought a W3670 xeon to replace my i7920, crossed my fingers and hoped all would go well.
Made sure BIOS was the most recent (from 2010 lol) the works.
So got it to boot and work fine, overclocked it to a stable 4.2ghz with ease, keeping de cpu volt just slightly above 1.3
This went on for a while with no issues. Suddenly, after a Windows 10 random update, started receiving a "update bios to unleash full potential" and computer just would not boot.
Reinstalled the 920, all worked fine.
Went back to the xeon and... this is when things start getting strange. So the computer won't boot on default bios settings. If I overclock it though, boots just fine.
Now I start running prime95 and after 3 or 4 minutes, prime shuts off. If I try to stress the cpu further, random BSOD start showing. 4 or 5 different error codes, most related with driver incompatibility.
I began to think it could be heat (it gets to 60/65° on full load on a noctua nh-d14), so not likely.
Since I have and rx580 8gb vram i thought, maybe its the psu. Its 800w but it's been in service for about a decade...
So i installed the i7 again with a 4.2ghz OC, and a small OC on the GPU aswell. OCCT says all is good with the PSU.
Used 1600 gskill rams in some tests, corsair same freq on others, and a mix of both.
Yeah, they work together, worked for about half a year with the Xeon just fine.
Now I'm stuck. Don't know what else to do and frankly I'm looking at a Rzyen 7 for an upgrade, but i'm having a hard time letting go of a computer that just days ago had me playing The Outer Worlds on ultra for a whole night without any problems. And for a few hours a day after that, no problem.
So, any thoughts? Taking the noctua on and off is not a picnic, but I willing to run a few more tests if you have different ideas.
Btw, same problem happens on Windows 7 (10 is on the main ssd) I booted from a backup HDD and no change.
Even made a clean install of W10, to no avail.
So, I turn to the MVPs on the subject. Please help.
Thank you in advance.

Not a pro in this area, but I've got some ideas.

Try resetting your bios settings and then swap to the xeon and see if it boots.

If it doesn't boot, try a linux live cd to boot. That message you got just sounds really scammy/marlwary, so I'd like to see if it's a windows issue.

Daniel_pt

Commendable
Apr 11, 2020
Not a pro in this area, but I've got some ideas.

Try resetting your bios settings and then swap to the xeon and see if it boots.

If it doesn't boot, try a linux live cd to boot. That message you got just sounds really scammy/marlwary, so I'd like to see if it's a windows issue.
Thanks for the reply.
As I said I've formated the main SSD and made a fresh install of W10.
On any ocasion the computer boots. It just doesn't remain on if I push the cpu. I get about 2 minutes of prime and then software closes. Only if I persist on the stress test the BSOD comes.

TRENDING THREADS