Overclock lost on wake from Hibernation

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hey all,

Looking for some help her. I have an ASUS A8R-MVP motherboard with a x64 4000+ I can get some great overclocks and am stable at 2.9gHz. One problem, I have noticed that when the computer resumes from hibernation the overclock is lost. If I manual overclock it, it either drops to normal or if the HTT is above 250, it reboots at overclock/2. If i reboot the computer once windows starts the overclock is back in place.

Is there a bios setting I need to change?

Is this normal (Iam doubting it)?

What is the power savings from going from S3 (suspend) to S4 (hibernate)?

sailer

Splendid
It isn't normal to loose an overclock when coming out of hibernation if you set up the overclock parameters in BIOS.

I have never thought that hibernation was worth the trouble. I don't know if it really saved any power, and it did sometimes cause my computer to crash.

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I've always used hibernation for the supposed power saving benefits. I just tried suspend and it turns out that that doesn't work. Suspend will turn off the computer with the power light blinking like it should, but when you turn it on, it takes about 20 sec to think then resets and fully loads windows as if nothing where in the ram. This even occurs with no overclock.

This has the added benefit of reseting the computer and thus keeping (or rather not lossing) the overclock that occurs with hibernate. However it takes longer to boot.

Any thoughts???

Is this Bios, Motherboard, or Windows XP related???

sailer

Splendid
By suspend, do you mean standby? At least on my computer, standby shuts down the computer, but keeps all the settings that I had at the time invoked. It usually results in a faster load than if I do a cold start.

These are problems that have plagued Win XP from the start. Some motherboards work through it better, others don't. I had early problems with hibernate and choose to never use it again. I would choose standby over hibernate any time, myself.

sailer

Splendid
That's pretty much what it does, but the boot should be faster than from a cold start, because the various settings and drivers are already loaded. You might check the BIOS to make sure the settings in it are allowing the standby to work correctly. Under the BIOS Power Menu, make sure the "Repost Video on S3" is answered "No". That might solve the problem of seeing a complete reboot.

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Repost Video is set to No already. It is set up to allow S3. Do you think this lies with a windows and bios incompatibility issue?

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I think it may be a faulty motherboard overall, as attainable HTT can very wildly from one boot to another.

I have had windows boot with 320 HTT (*9=2880), other days like today I can't hit 240 HTT and boot windows. Seems very odd to me. None of my friends mobo behave this way. Any ideas as to what may be up.

Should I return the opty175 I just ordered that was supposed to extend the life of my 939 board?

sailer

Splendid
Ok, first, I don't have my board set for S3. Do't know if that makes any real difference here, only that its a difference.

You may well have a faulty board if the fsb speeds vary widely from one boot to another. Using CPU-Z, you should see the mhz vary only 1 or 2 mhz in either direction. Almost forgot to ask if you have Cool and Quiet enabled. If so, disable it. Q & C can cause a lot of troubles when overclocking, sometimes throttling the cpu and preventing the overclock a person tried so hard to reach.

As far as the fsb, or HTT speed goes, 320 is pretty high. Try using a higher multiplier and a lower bus speed. At very high bus speeds, problems with the ram can crop up.

As far as the Opty 175, I ordered a FX60 a while back with the same idea, extending the life of my 939 board. A lot of people will go wild recommending a new C2D package, but they often forget that a barebones C2D will not perform any better than a good 939. Its not just buying a cheap motherboard and cpu, but getting also getting good ram, a better mobo, and a mid to high C2D cpu to make it fly. That can run into a lot more money than just a faster cpu for a 939 board.

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
As far as the Opty 175, I ordered a FX60 a while back with the same idea, extending the life of my 939 board. A lot of people will go wild recommending a new C2D package, but they often forget that a barebones C2D will not perform any better than a good 939. Its not just buying a cheap motherboard and cpu, but getting also getting good ram, a better mobo, and a mid to high C2D cpu to make it fly. That can run into a lot more money than just a faster cpu for a 939 board.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I am hoping to extend my 939 while parts are still available and hopefully have a system with enough power to hold off for another 1 and 1/2 years. I can change board so it is not set to s3 only but that changes nothing.

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
What are the disadvantes of turning off cool and quiet???

Is there any real power savings?

I doubt there are. The biggest benefit in my mind would be quieter operation. I have a Zlman CPS9500, so that is not a big concern to me. Am I wrong here???

sailer

Splendid
What are the disadvantes of turning off cool and quiet???

Is there any real power savings?

I doubt there are. The biggest benefit in my mind would be quieter operation. I have a Zlman CPS9500, so that is not a big concern to me. Am I wrong here???

The only disadvantage I know of when turning off cool and quiet is that the machine doesn't throttle back when you aren't using it for a set time. Of course, using means that you are supporting the program always, therefore using ram and cpu power at all times, and it tries to fight you every time you change something.

There is no real power saving that I know of. Another way of looking at it is that when used you might save about 20 cents a day at most. In exchange, you invite crashes, BSOD, spending time waiting for the machine to reboot, and changed settings when you reboot.

The quiter operation is more a figment of the imagination than anything else. I also have a Zalman 9500 and it doesn't make an appreciable noise. I can also use the manual control to turn it down if I want. I like that better than having the machine make decisions for me.

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Turns out my problem with varied HTT (Bus speed) booting or not booting into windows was a consequence of Cool and Quiet. This has been disabled and will remain off permanently.

I use speed fan to control my cpu and case fans, that works great for me.

However, I still have the problem that power off, then on, or hibernate shuts off my HTT overclock and takes it back to 200. This means that with my current AMD x64 4000+ on stock voltage with HTT of 270 x 10.5multi = 2.84, turns into 200 x 10.5 = 2100 after a reboot. I am confused about what causes this and semi-concerned about the underclock damaging the chip.

I can hit delete at bios boot and then F10 and then it boots with proper HTT. Is there a way to change bios factory defaults?

This way instead of dropping back down the system would stay at higher HTT always. I was thinking that I could set the HTT to 220 that way if it drops down, with a 10.5 multi I would still be at 2.3. And 220 has always booted even with cool and queit on. Any thoughts on the cause or a solution?

sailer

Splendid
Underclocking shouldn't cause any damage to the cpu. If the board is continuing to change the HTT settings, I wonder hard if the board hasn't been damaged in some way. The fact that you can hit delete and then F10 and it will boot the proper HTT seems to confirm this, at least in my mind. When you make the changes to the BIOS and hit save on exit, the save should be permanent.

You mention this occuring with the X64 4000+. Does the same thing happen with the Opty 175? If so, that would really point to the motherboard. At this point, the question should be asked as to whether to replace the motherboard and keep with a 939 or to send the Opty back and buy a whole new motherboard, ram, and cpu such as a C2D, etc. while trying to sell the 4000+.

Alternatively, you could just make a habit of hitting delete and then F10, but then its just an unknown matter of time before the whole thing fails. One last thought is to try replacing the CMOS battery, or at least taking it out and then putting it back in. A problem with the CMOS battery could cause some resetting troubles, but it really doesn't fit the rest of the symptoms. Just a random thought.

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I agree. I don't think it is a CMOS battery issue either, as all other settings are saved just fine. It is only HTT that gets set to 200. And as I explained, it is really set to 265 as all you need to do is hit del and then f10 and it reboots at proper HTT. Seems very odd to me.

I haven't tried it on the opty175. I am waiting for it to come. Should be here on Thursday. I was wondering if I should even bother to test it, as it seems to be a board issue???

Redline24

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I know it's a rather silly question, but have you tried something in between 200 and 265? Perhaps 230? I know my ASUS A8N-E resets values if they're set to high as a safety measure.

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I've had different problems on the same motherboard on many more occasions than I would like... makes me wish I had known about DFI when I built my machine.

Not to threadjack but what type of settings were you using? I've had trouble getting over 2.5 stable.

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I've had different problems on the same motherboard on many more occasions than I would like... makes me wish I had known about DFI when I built my machine.

Not to threadjack but what type of settings were you using? I've had trouble getting over 2.5 stable.

Like I said, I am using an 4000+ so your results my very, but I have never had any trouble attaining 270 HTT (bus), 2.835GHz (with 10.5 multi), have HT Link set to 4x (listed as 800mHz in system) for a HT link speed of 1080, and ram set to .8 (listed as 166mhz in bios) for ram clocked at 216. I am solid at that, but have not really pushed the system due to the above issue.

I know it's a rather silly question, but have you tried something in between 200 and 265? Perhaps 230? I know my ASUS A8N-E resets values if they're set to high as a safety measure.

I have tried 220, 210, and 205 all with the same results. I think it may be some sort of safety measure aswell, but the machine boots fine and 205 should never be an issue. Interestingly enough, if I tell windows to reset the computer, the settings hold. It is only with power down, hibernate, and standby.

This made me think of the CMOS battery initially, but all other settings are saved as I stated above. Can't figure this out for the life of me. Any thoughts?

I am really hoping for some answers so I know if it will be worth it to toss in this opty or if I should just ride the single core out at the default 2.4GHz for another year or year and a half.

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not super-knowledgable about computers, but if I was in your shoes and kept having problems with the board, I'd just go find a new 939 MOBO and keep the Opty. It's very solid and unless you really need something that is faster than lightning there's no reason to build practically a whole new PC for at least another 1-1 1/2 years.

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not super-knowledgable about computers, but if I was in your shoes and kept having problems with the board, I'd just go find a new 939 MOBO and keep the Opty. It's very solid and unless you really need something that is faster than lightning there's no reason to build practically a whole new PC for at least another 1-1 1/2 years.

I don't think I need one until then either, but I can return the opty if I won't get any overclock benefit from it.

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Okay guys, here is the conclusion to the story. The issue is due to the new bios that I updated to 3 months ago. After going through 10 index pages and 20 posts on ASUS's website I stubled upon a strikingly similar story. The solution is to downgrade the bios from 05.03 to 04.02. Now the board is rock solid stable.

I can now achieve HTT of 325. Booted perfectly and primed for an hour no prob.

HTT325.JPG

I also have a max HT Link of 1079. Booted perfectly and primed for an hour no prob.

HTlink1079.JPG

Seems like my opty upgrade is back on. Now I just need to decide between 165 and 175. Thanks all for your time, effort, and help.

P.S. Please reply with a "that's cool", "wow", or even "your welcome". And if you have any ideas post your thoughts on the Opty purchase. I will be creating a thread shortly to discuss it.

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Congratulations on getting your problem settled.

As for the Opterons, I might shy away from the 175. A recent review (4 days ago) says that the current batch has a poor stepping and fails to reach clocks above 2.6. I don't remember where it was, but I've read that the statisically speaking, the 170 has the best probability of reaching highest clock speeds. 165 is no wuss either...

Edit: I just checked Newegg's recent reviews for the 165 and it appears to be on a pretty decent good right now.

I would go for a 165 or 170.

sailer

Splendid
Very good. Never did think of asking if you had done a BIOS update recently. My bad.

I'd get the best Opty that you can afford and go from there, mainly getting one that's dual dore instead of single core. I hadn't heard of any problems with the 175's, but I guess that can happen. Generally, the Opties are the most tested chips that are sold by AMD. Whatever. Go for it and enjoy.

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Yes. It seems that the Opty 175 usually has poor stepping preventingh overclock over 2.7GHz. I had one ordered and cancelled it when I went to test the board and ran into the problem. It was OEM, only $175, and had CCBBE stepping. Since then, they are out and I think I'll just use the 165 that is CCBBE stepping. I should be good as long as the HTT of 325 is rock solid stable, somewhat concerned since Opty165 only has a 9x multi, but it seems crazy to complain about a 2.925GHz Daul Core, right???

Any ideas on how to test HTT stability other than windows boot???