Overclock lost on wake from Hibernation

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hey all,

Looking for some help her. I have an ASUS A8R-MVP motherboard with a x64 4000+ I can get some great overclocks and am stable at 2.9gHz. One problem, I have noticed that when the computer resumes from hibernation the overclock is lost. If I manual overclock it, it either drops to normal or if the HTT is above 250, it reboots at overclock/2. If i reboot the computer once windows starts the overclock is back in place.

Is there a bios setting I need to change?

Is this normal (Iam doubting it)?

What is the power savings from going from S3 (suspend) to S4 (hibernate)?

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I've always used hibernation for the supposed power saving benefits. I just tried suspend and it turns out that that doesn't work. Suspend will turn off the computer with the power light blinking like it should, but when you turn it on, it takes about 20 sec to think then resets and fully loads windows as if nothing where in the ram. This even occurs with no overclock.

This has the added benefit of reseting the computer and thus keeping (or rather not lossing) the overclock that occurs with hibernate. However it takes longer to boot.

Any thoughts???

Is this Bios, Motherboard, or Windows XP related???

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Congratulations, you are taking up 1/2 of the scrolling messages on the homepage. Instead of allowing people to find the thread, as they always do, you have displaced people with more relevant questions. Posting once is enough, and posting in the right section is preferred even more. Stop this useless and incessant posting. You are polluting the forums and making is more difficult for people with real issues to get the answers they need.

--How do you even know you are losing the OC?

johnjk

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I apologized above. I will apologize again. I am sorry. As I am sure you can somewhat understand, after 6 hours of frustration sometimes you do things you would not normally do. :( Apparently my vice is multiple posts.

I can see that the overclock has changed by looking at bios boot and by running cpu-z.

Any thoughts?

I think it may be a faulty motherboard overall, as attainable HTT can very wildly from one boot to another.

Please post any responses in other topic (lin below) to consolidate the mess I have created.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Overclock-lost-wake-Hibernatio...topict2

Again, sorry. I'm at my wits end. :cry:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Why do you even use hibernate? Shutting down completely accomplishes the same goal, no power usage. The only different is that it will take 1 minute longer to start up, and unless you are playing chicken with Russia and nuclear weapons, I think you can wait. :wink:

I don't use hibernation because it really does screw with settings on my computer, it never quite wakes up correctly. So to avoid this problem, I just turn it off. Suspend is great for laptops when you just need to move rooms and want to maximize battery life, but I don't think there is ever a real place for hibernation. Sure it saves your "state" to disk, but can you not remember what you were doing?

What are you so concerned about losing that can't be started up again after a complete shut down?

Edit: We forum veterans (most of whom have been here longer than I) come down hard because there is an expected way of doing things and when you do it incorrectly it really screws us up. There are plenty of people who browse each section, just give a post time to be replied to. If it is a legit question, someone will answer. I was reamed early in my posting career, and we just learn from it.