Question Overclock makes my second screen flip out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2018
Hello

Quite nervous I will make a bad post, I'm not used to this. I am also new to overclocking.

I have an annoying problem with my second screen, which is connected to my motherboard since I only use it for light tasks while gaming on my primary monitor. When the CPU load spikes, both monitors and sound freeze for a second or two, then come back, but certain windows are now completely black (chrome for example) and unresponsive, and need to be reopened in order to work properly.

When I restore my BIOS to default it works perfectly fine, also if I connect the second monitor to the GPU.

I have followed Darkbreeze's overclocking guide to a tee - passed every test. The second monitor was however not connected during any of these tests, nor was XMP.
The only thing I have changed is the ratio (47), vcore (1.28), uncore ratio (45) and XMP.

Just discovered this today, but I have tried:
  • increasing the vcore to 1.29.
  • swapping the hdmi cable for the second monitor
  • Setting uncore to default
Obviously I have two solutions already that I mentioned above. But I would like to keep this configuration, don't like sweeping stuff under the rug, and also am interested in learning why this is happening. I do know that my motherboard and monitors are on the cheap side.

Thoughts?

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
i5 8600K @ 4.70GHz cooled by Corsair H100x
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) @ 3200MHz (XMP)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 HD3-CF
Graphics
Acer XF240H (1920x1080@144Hz) via DP
ASUS VP278 (1920x1080@60Hz) via HDMI
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Gigabyte)
GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (Gigabyte)
Storage
500GB Western Digital Blue SATA SSD
PSU
EVGA 650 GQ 80 PLUS

Status