Question Overclock newbie help please (any help appreciated)

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
So i have recently overclocked my I7 4770K CPU in order to gain a little more performance i am no overclocking guru but i know a few things anyway i have managed to run my i7 at 4.3GHz with an all in one water cooler i have also replaced the thermal paste with some Artic MX2 thermal compound

Im currently running the CPU at 1.118V and everything seems to be stable my maximum temperature whilst playing BF4 is 59C - 65C which i would definitely say is okay but where i am concerned is ill be playing with no problems at all then all of a sudden the CPU will drop to around 20% usage sometimes lower and then right back up again this happens in most games not just BF4 and usually around 2-3 times a game and causes a massive disadvantage as well as i am scared it may be causing damage, on top of that my mainboard temperatures are showing at 251C :( but i have been told not to worry about this as if it were truly that temperature i would have fried something by now and i have also been told programs cant accurately measure the motherboard temperature, i am guessing that the CPU Would need more voltage and that is what is causing the drops i would just like some clarification from a well experienced overclocker and hopefully they can see where i have gone wrong i will drop my full system specs below

CPU I7 4770K
RAM 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz overclocked on the mobosetting
COOLER Deep cool Maelstrom 120V Liquid CPU Cooler
MOTHERBOARD ASUS B85M-G mATX Motherboard
GTX 970 SSC EVGA 4GB

Usually as I've read, those CPU's needed like 1.3V for stable 4.6@.
You're safe to overclock till 80C~ (around 80C to under 85*C is good).

Well CPU drop seems like unstable voltage, try increasing voltage.

Now I saw that you use B85M motherboard, which may not be suitable for good overclocking tho.
I would not overclock too much on B85 chipset , no heatsinks on VRM's, it has 3 of them and 4pin connector which is kinda not good.

My final answer is, mild overclock=yes, just watch your temps, you can put your finger on them to feel the temps if software does not read correctly the temps , just make sure your finger is dry without any oil or etc.

9c-C6-Yan-Cyn-ZKERGM-setting-fff-1-90-end-500.jpg

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
Usually as I've read, those CPU's needed like 1.3V for stable 4.6@.
You're safe to overclock till 80C~ (around 80C to under 85*C is good).

Well CPU drop seems like unstable voltage, try increasing voltage.

Now I saw that you use B85M motherboard, which may not be suitable for good overclocking tho.
I would not overclock too much on B85 chipset , no heatsinks on VRM's, it has 3 of them and 4pin connector which is kinda not good.

My final answer is, mild overclock=yes, just watch your temps, you can put your finger on them to feel the temps if software does not read correctly the temps , just make sure your finger is dry without any oil or etc.

9c-C6-Yan-Cyn-ZKERGM-setting-fff-1-90-end-500.jpg
hi mate thankyou for the reply i will up the voltage and i understand that but 4.3 is the profile it comes with i just messed with the voltage

TRENDING THREADS