Question Overclock on i5-2400 and GTX 750 TI

Sep 7, 2019
Ok, so I am not an expert in overclocking and I want some help, I want an 100% safe overclock since I can't afford new parts. I'll list my specs below
Motherboard: AsRocK H61M-DGS
CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 (4 CPU's) 3.1 GHZ
Memory: 8192MB RAM DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 TI
BIOS: BIOS date: 07/11/12 11:02:09 Ver: 04.06.05
Windows: Windows 10 Enterprise
Sourse: 80 plus bronze peak 500w
SSD: Patriot Burst
Please tell me step my step or ask me if I need to give more info

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Well, first off you have a "locked" Intel CPU. Where there are sometimes ways around overclocking these, by and large you can't (easily) do so.

Second, that 750ti you have is not considered particularly powerful, if it really ever was, any more.

What are your expectations from the supposed overclock? What are you trying to accomplish that the system won't do now?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Do a search on "overclocking a locked processor" and see if your particular motherboard supports the methodology.

TBH, I wouldn't do it. Considering the age the increased heat production and voltage could lead to a failure. Even if you DID OC the CPU, that GPU isn't going to offer more performance for it.
IMO, if you are really strapped to a degree that you can't buy anything new, might consider lowering settings or particularly resolution to see some frame improvement. If you can scratch a few dollars together I would consider finding a (better) used GPU, which should help on the frame and resolution front.
As to streaming improvements...well...

As above, no real overclocking is possible.
And you will not gain much from trying to overclock your GTX750ti.
What is the make/model of your psu?

Whatever, do not buy a cheap psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive. Do not buy one.

To get an idea if a better graphics card will do you much good, run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you favor fast action games, a graphics card upgrade is likely a worthwhile upgrade.
While a rx580 is a strong card and at a decent price, they need more power than a similar performing nvidia card.
You might look at a GTX1650 $160 or so.
It would still be a nice upgrade.

Is 8gb sufficient for you?
If you are multitasking, I might upgrade to 16gb.