Overclock question about intel's

donuts59

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Hi i don't know that much about overclocking, i know how to overclock my build in both bios and software.
My build:
Cpu: Fx 9370
Gpu: 270x
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990ffa-ud3
Storage: Kingston 120gb and 500g harddrive
Psu: Corsair CX750M Bronze

Now my question is, my friend has a Intel build that i am jealous of, but we overclock different ways. I just turn on my pc and use software program specific for gigabyte boards, easy as pie. He has a MSI board and software for that as well, but he can not overclock with his software as easily. He has much greater success overclocking in bios and then starting his system. He has a msi board that isn't old or anything, purchased in 2012. Is there no way to first allow the system to start at default settings and then overclock to desired speeds? I know he has a 3770k and a gtx 680 for sure, not 100% which exact board he has.

Okay to fill you in now, we play Warrock. A fps shooter game in which your overclock obtained after your system is already running gives you a much greater advantage. He doesn't gain any boost in this game because he launches the game from a already overclocked cpu that he does in bios, but i start the game and then overclock and it gives me a huge advantage. Yes it is unfair but i turn it off when playing against him. Please don't be a jerk like many of the people on here, i am not as informed as many of you on these types of things.

Thank you for your help!

There is literally no difference in the effect an overclock will have whether it is done in the OS or via BIOS, they will both run the same. If you are getting better results then it will be as a result of differing hardware specifications and/or one of you got lucky in the silicon lottery and got yourselves a better than normal performing CPU.

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
No CPU will overclock the same, even if it's the exact some CPU. Of course Intel and AMD are head to head competitors with their CPU's so of course their OC programs would have to be different from each others since they have different audiences. Intel is for a more expensive person, and when you pay more for something usually you will be rewarded well for it, and yes, I mean better over clocking capabilities.

Hope this helps and I hope I wasn't being a jerk either :p

There is also the fact that AMD and intel CPU's overclock in entirely different ways. That and the software isn't developed by them, but rather by the motherboard manufacturers. So trying to compare an AMD CPU on one motherboard to an intel CPU on a different brand of motherboard would be like comparing a Porsche to a Lear Jet, both have engines, both move people around, but they are totally different in every way that matters.

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014

Excellent addition to my post! I should have added that myself :( :)

donuts59

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
No I know there is no difference but in the game we play software overclocking gives the player a big advantage, but he cant software overclock, i wasnt asking if there was a different. Overclocking in warrock is even banned but he cant software overclock like i can. Why is that? I figured with intel you're paying more so you should be able to do everything the AMD can but better.

First of all, if it is banned why are you doing it? If you can't win at a game without having to cheat then perhaps you should play something else. Second of all, if your friend has a Z77 chipset MSI motherboard (And it should be Z77 if he has a K series i7) he most certainly can overclock from inside the OS using the MSI control center. The fact that he doesn't know this shows that he likely does not know anywhere near enough about overclocking to be attempting it in the first place.

donuts59

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
No it just says something about "cannot raise cpu value higher than cpu ratio" Please dont lecture me on the game, everyone in that game cheats, only reason i overclock in that game is too keep up.

Please don't lie to people when asking for their help. The devs and other players go to great pains to remove and ban cheaters, so lets not pretend otherwise, OK? As for the issue your friend is having, all he needs to do is go in to the BIOS and enable overclocking in OS.

donuts59

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
You have never played this game and have no idea about it, how can you seriously act and tell me (a guy that has been playing this game for years), about it. I will never meet you i have no reason to lie, as for your information you have provided about the BIOS, i will let him know and i appreciate it, but stick to you aren't ignorant about, it will save you time.