Question Overclock RAM to the rated speed without BIOS or XMP

Chris8282

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
Hello, I have a recently upgraded my RAM. My motherboard and RAM are compatible up to 2666 Mhz. However, without understanding, I purchaed Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM which requires XMP to reach the rated advertised speeds. My motherboard BIOS does not have the ability to tweak RAM speeds or XMP. Unfortunately, the Omen Gaming Hub software which some use to overclock RAM on this motherboard won't even open on my PC.

Is there some other way to overclock to the rated RAM speed?

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? Link to the ram kit used on motherboard? If your motherboard lacks the option to manually set the timings, frequency and voltage of your ram kit, then no...it's very likely that you don't have the option to overclock/tinker with your ram.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
If your bios does not include the function to adjust ram parameters, then you can't really do it AFAIK.

There may some software out there that can change some settings, but that would not be a real ram overclock and may cause moar problems that it solves...which is what that "gaming hub" nonsense sounds like... The fact that it won't open on your machine seems like further confirmation that your mobo will not allow ram o/c'ing....

Chris8282

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
It is an HP Edoras motherboard that came with an HP Omen Obelisk (Yeah, I know, but it was an amaazing deal in early 2020, I had to). It supports 2666 Mhz, I have confirmed this through the website. My new RAM only works at 2133 Mhz, I assume because it does not have XMP support and this RAM isn't actually rated for that speed.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820233853?Description=2x16gb ddr 2666&cm_re=2x16gb_ddr 2666--20-233-853--Product&quicklink=true

This is the RAM kit I purchased.

This is the exact motherboard from my exact prebuilt model.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-OBELISK-875-0014-MOTHERBOARD-L23867-001/dp/B0851G7Z72

I have already approved the RMA through NewEgg, however, I'm not exactly sure what RAM to chose since they all mention XMP (except for Crucial). They don't mention it in the item name, but in the product description. Maybe the mentioning of it in the item title is the difference. But, my Google Fu tells me that it's not exactly rare for RAM to run at 2133 Mhz without XMP (JEDEC default) so maybe it's just an indirect limitation of my motherboard.

Last edited: