overclock ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blade_storm

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
hello guys i will overclock ryzen 5 2600 on asrock b450m pro4 until i get an aftermarket cooler. So, i don t want something crazy. ram will be 3000mhz and i want to try between 3.8ghz and 3.9ghz, what do you think with volt? should i push it up to 1.3 or below that?PSU isn t a problem. thanks you a lot!

blade_storm

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019

QVL list lists all the ram that have tested, new ram aren t there. so no problem for fatalit and oc at the end of the day? just don t push the limits.

DavidM012

Distinguished
The fatality isn't my choice I like the review on the tomahawk full atx because those electronic guys at overclockers uk said 2 high side mosfets per inductor means the vrms run at 80c rather than 120c in the same conditions and the tomahawk uses less power so has a more efficient design overall. I know what memory to get for the tomahawk even though I couldn't open the file in the spec. section because it has a .000 extension and I don't know what app it opens with never mind there are plenty of recommendations if you search forums like this one for most boards I should think.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
QVL is Qualified Vendor List. Not qualified ram list. There's only a few actual ram OEMs, so testing is done to cover several OEMs in any particular speed, not just the brand on the heatsink. Patriot uses Samsung in its Viper3 line, as well as it's own ic's, as does Adata, G-Skill, and several others. So it's rather pointless to test most of the brands as it'll be nothing more than swapping out ram for the same ram with a different heatshield.

It's more important to note that any mobo will work with several different kits at any given speed, if it seems to only work with one kit, why? For the most part, the only real value of the QVL was with the 1st Gen Ryzen, who had issues with ram speeds over 3000MHz with every ram OEM except Samsung.

blade_storm

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019

what s your opinion about MSI B450M Bazooka? i mean about overclock(in price it s between fatality and tomahawk)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Well, you hadn't mentioned the need for RGB previously. Also, I never said anything about not being able to OC with any of the boards mentioned in this thread.

DavidM012

Distinguished
I like the full ATX Tomahawk.

quote review

'MSI B450 TOMAHAWK Socket AM4 ATX Motherboard.
Got this board after my Gigabyte B450M DS3H failed to run my Ryzen 5 2600 at normal stock speeds without the VRM getting so hot it downclocked the CPU ... with this board all my problems have gone the VRM cooling on this board is good and the BIOS is light years ahead of the Gigabyte bios.
The standard 4 pin RGB header means you can sync your fans and strips with the included software.
so far I've not found any downsides to buying this board over any other B450 board.'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450-TOMAHAWK-Motherboard-Processors/dp/B07FQ9ZJD9/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1549822556&sr=1-1&keywords=b450+tomahawk