overclock ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler

blade_storm

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
hello guys i will overclock ryzen 5 2600 on asrock b450m pro4 until i get an aftermarket cooler. So, i don t want something crazy. ram will be 3000mhz and i want to try between 3.8ghz and 3.9ghz, what do you think with volt? should i push it up to 1.3 or below that?PSU isn t a problem. thanks you a lot!

DavidM012

Distinguished
It won't be a significant overclock. What's the reason to try when you know you'll get a better oc with a larger cooler? Because you will have to tweak various settings you can't tell what temp. it will generate even if you know what voltage you want to set so you might overheat it before you had the chance to install the better cooler.

At least start with small increments and measure the temp. and vCore at each stage, 3.5, 3.6 ghz. rather than going, blam 1.3v. 3.8ghz. To err on the side of caution.

blade_storm

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019

i didn t undersant so well, but i think you told me that the oc isn t worth it because of the risk of overheating the cpu?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The stock Wraith cooler that amd ships with the Ryzen cpus is quite often better than many budget aftermarket coolers. It's equitable to a CM hyper212 evo. It'll handle a 3.8-3.9GHz OC without issue.

Word of advice: Before doing ANY OC, do a serious amount of research on the subject, there's a whole lot more to it than just adjusting vcore by picking a number.

blade_storm

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019

that s helpful but also make me woried, i am not very familiar with this settings and i can t understand them

DavidM012

Distinguished
since your board has only 3+3 power phases my hypothesis would be that you won't get past 3.8ghz. Full atx boards generally have more power phases.

Since you have the fewer phases rather than more I would go with the bigger heatsink to run cooler. Like the noctua nh u9s. Since you're on mATX I guess the bigger nh-d14 or 15 won't fit your chassis.

The more power phases you have the more the load is distributed between them so the vrms don't heat up as much. What's the odds there's a decent heatsink on the vrms? Not very high. It looks quite small compared to the TUF vrm heatsink on my sabretooth.

You're build isn't well suited to overclocking. That's why you need to be careful.

I already said go 0.1ghz at a time and monitor the temps, at each stage but I think it's going to give you a hard time without a stronger cooler.

I would have bought a full atx board with more power phases and a larger vrm heatsink too. Granted that you're on a lower tdp platform than mine what is relevant is overclocking puts out more heat than spec. and the manufacturer does not recommend overclocking so the heat sinks are only primed to offer good performance at standard voltages.

There isn't an easy way to add more metal to the vrm heatsinks but you should find an additional fan to huff on the vrm heatsink too. and 3.8ghz is probably too optimistic.

What I might do in that situation is get the noctua and stick the wraith cooler to the vrm heatsink with thermal epoxy if there was room for it. There would be on a full atx board. That would probably eliminate any worries but then, without knowing exactly how much heat each component will take, the quality of the vrms, and so on, it's a certain amount of estimation not any guarantee that all will be fine.

It might be somewhat better if you jury rig a larger heatsink to the vrm heatsink as well as utilize a larger cooler.

Keep your voltage under 1.4 volts and make sure your temperature is under 80c while stress testing. As long as you have vrm heatsyncs you should he able to push a mild overclock. Low end vrms may limit how high your voltage can go, limiting your frequencies, but at 1.3 volts your system will be safe as long as the vrms are cool with proper airflow and heatsyncs. As long as your cpu is cool and your voltage is safe, overclocking poses no threat to your system. An aftermarket cooler will help your system for higher overclocks.

blade_storm

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019

does this make things better Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4?

blade_storm

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019

i trust you but what do you think about david opinion about motherboard?

I agree with david. Follow his overclocking steps, keep your voltage low and safe, and set your case and cpu fans to 100% to blow air over the vrms to cool them. The stock downdraft cooler will blow air on the vrms. You should be able to get a decent oc with that mobo and cooler, just keep expectations, volts, and temps in check!

blade_storm

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019

Thnx, so there is no worry about damage anything right?

blade_storm

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019

thaks a lot buddie, but what do you think about these motherboards, which is better for overclocking?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Fatality is the better board. 2x m.2 slots vrs 1, 6+3 phase vrs 3+3 etc. Biggest difference is its a full ATX mobo, the b450m pro4 is micro ATX, which can make a difference in everything from gpu placement to added Sata to added fan headers etc.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Finally found some lists with boards by vrm. There's a lot too choose from.

https://wccftech.com/amd-x470-motherboard-roundup-asus-asrock-msi-aorus-biostar/

https://wccftech.com/amd-b450-motherboards-official-launch-msi-asus-asrock-gigabyte-roundup/

The x470 boards have up to 16 power phases & various other factors might influence your decision since there can be only one. I already have my cooler so I might spend a bit more on a x470, you might hear an argument that the gains are marginal, but then there is certainly no hassle overclocking with the 16 power phases.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
At 3.8-3.9GHz there really aren't any gains. Power phases are used Alot for stability purposes, the VRM's convert 12v DC to @0.2-1.5v DC, but that 12v is subject to its own noise, it's never pure. Power phases help clean the resultant ups and downs even further, supposedly, but can introduce dips between phases, so more is not often better for that purpose.
More phases is only a benefit under extreme OC, where high current and voltages are split between more VRM's, lowering overall heat output. A 3+3 will over tax the VRM's long before a 16+4 will, but only if pushed hard in the first place. Most ppl are opting for the B boards, and have done so since Ryzen first arrived as they don't have the headroom Intel cpu's do, so don't require all the bells and whistles.