Question Can I overclock RYZEN 5 1600 to 4.0 GHz with Corsair h45 liquid cooler?

Triasis ghosh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Can I overclock RYZEN 5 1600 with Corsair h45 liquid cooler,MSI b450m pro vdh plus motherboard,Corsair vs550 psu and Corsair spec 1 cabinet?

Lutfij

Titan
I'd ask you to look at a 240mm radiator if you haven't invested in the cooler yet. On another note, that unit(VS) is abysmal, you should look at a better unit if you plan to overclock on that platform. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS for the motherboard before you overclock. What are the rams you're using on the board?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can you OC? Yep. Sure can. Motherboard chipset supports OC, cpu supports OC. The H45 cooler is slightly better than a hyper212 evo, which is slightly better than the stock cooler, so that'll support OC too.

There's just several things that are potentially not in your favor

It's a 1st gen Ryzen. They had issues hitting 4GHz on all cores, some did, some didn't.
It's a low end motherboard, as budget as it gets so whether it'll handle the OC at the voltages required is anyone's guess.
Whether you'll get stability on your ram is seriously up for grabs. 1st gen Ryzen were very particular, many couldn't get the full 3200MHz, they'd get chopped short at 2666MHz or 2933MHz.
Lowest level psu, apart from its questionable reliability, it has the lowest level of quality control on its DC outputs. Instead of a stable straight line, the outputs look more like the AC voltage it's supposed to change from. Those highs and lows create stability issues with higher OC.

You are trying to make a race car out of grandma's Toyota Corolla. You can try, but don't be surprised if you don't get the results you aim for.

Triasis ghosh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
I'd ask you to look at a 240mm radiator if you haven't invested in the cooler yet. On another note, that unit(VS) is abysmal, you should look at a better unit if you plan to overclock on that platform. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS for the motherboard before you overclock. What are the rams you're using on the board?
I will use g.skill ripjaws v 16 GB (8×2) 3000 mhz ram.

Triasis ghosh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Can you OC? Yep. Sure can. Motherboard chipset supports OC, cpu supports OC. The H45 cooler is slightly better than a hyper212 evo, which is slightly better than the stock cooler, so that'll support OC too.

There's just several things that are potentially not in your favor

It's a 1st gen Ryzen. They had issues hitting 4GHz on all cores, some did, some didn't.
It's a low end motherboard, as budget as it gets so whether it'll handle the OC at the voltages required is anyone's guess.
Whether you'll get stability on your ram is seriously up for grabs. 1st gen Ryzen were very particular, many couldn't get the full 3200MHz, they'd get chopped short at 2666MHz or 2933MHz.
Lowest level psu, apart from its questionable reliability, it has the lowest level of quality control on its DC outputs. Instead of a stable straight line, the outputs look more like the AC voltage it's supposed to change from. Those highs and lows create stability issues with higher OC.

You are trying to make a race car out of grandma's Toyota Corolla. You can try, but don't be surprised if you don't get the results you aim for.
So would you rather suggest i5 9400f? because I don't want to spent a lots of money for high end Mobo and psu just to overclock ryzen 5 1600 and ryzen 5 2600 is selling in higher price than ordinary.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Don't put any extra load on a Corsair VS 550w, keep using as little power as possible. The Corsair VS power supply is very cheaply built and needs to run with as much head room as possible to stay safe.

Depending on your graphics card, if you're drawing more than 400-450w at times, you're running it on the edge.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Ilijas Ramic

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2014
Oh boy why 550w just get 650w and done. I been using vs series in past and still using but 650w. IDK why people saying the quality is bad but the power supply is pretty good for mid range budget. It saved my build once a thunder strike hit the power pole next to my house and burned down every electronic part in the house (except the pc psu only died i replaced it with the warranty i had and the pc still worked

bignastyid

Titan
Oh boy why 550w just get 650w and done. I been using vs series in past and still using but 650w. IDK why people saying the quality is bad but the power supply is pretty good for mid range budget. It saved my build once a thunder strike hit the power pole next to my house and burned down every electronic part in the house (except the pc psu only died i replaced it with the warranty i had and the pc still worked

It's not the size it's the quality. A good 550w PSU would be more than enough, while a poor quality 650w PSU could end up frying part or all of the rig. Everybody(whom knows what they are taking about) calls the VS poor quality because it is(or at least was). It's not burn your house down bad but they have a high failure rate due to the lower quality parts used in their construction. Now there is a new generation of the VS units(grey units) and a platform upgrade, like the CX series before it, has made them a better option, but the old models(orange and green) are still poor quality(one of the worst Corsair has every offered) and best avoided.

Ilijas Ramic

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2014
I been running vs650 series from corsair for 5 years now in my old build i only replaced it once when it got fried by the thunder strike. Since then its been running great. I never had any problems . Im running it in my current system too no problems for 2 years now. You still get 5 years warranty. The psu is pretty good for the price. I cant complain i never had any issues with it. Its just a budget midrange psu.

Ilijas Ramic

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2014
Dude depends on the price were are you buying. In some countries they range around 80e with shipping+ Like in Bosnia. Im just saying for the price its good. The Corsair HX series is double the price 170e for 750w. The 650vs series is just the best psu you can afford for the money here.

Not true at all. If you can't afford a better psu, you can't afford to have your pc killed by a vs, can you?

If you buy a VS you are obligating your self to spend money when your psu fails. So the VS is nearly always more expensive in most cases.

Sorry, but you are the exception. You wouldn't believe how many failed vs units i see here.

bignastyid

Titan
I been running vs650 series from corsair for 5 years now in my old build i only replaced it once when it got fried by the thunder strike. Since then its been running great. I never had any problems . Im running it in my current system too no problems for 2 years now. You still get 5 years warranty. The psu is pretty good for the price. I cant complain i never had any issues with it. Its just a budget midrange psu.
Just because you have been successfully gambling with a low quality PSU doesn't mean you should suggest others do the same.
Dude depends on the price were are you buying. In some countries they range around 80e with shipping+ Like in Bosnia. Im just saying for the price its good. The Corsair HX series is double the price 170e for 750w. The 650vs series is just the best psu you can afford for the money here.
That doesn't make it a good unit. The PSU is a critical part and a bad place to skimp.

Ilijas Ramic

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2014
Watch the language
Im not saying its the best psu im saying for the price what i paid or some other countries who have Removed up pricing is just good. Its just depends on the country where you are buying. In Bosnia the prices never change they still asking high price. Example rx 590 on amazon is around 220-250.. In bosnia its 300-350
The income in Bosnia is pretty bad around 200e per month. The bills are only 100 bucks where is food and other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
...less efficient leading to higher power bills...
This is a bone of contention for me, too.

People really should be selecting PSUs based on their actual power demands, consulting the efficiency:load curves of the PSU they are considering, and selecting PSU output ratings to put actual load at the peak of the efficiency curve.

In most cases, that means that a 500W system will need a 1000W PSU. Not "cheap" but that PSU--if it's a high quality unit--will last freakin' forever. Definitely long enough to see 3 or 4 builds used on it.

That's when an expensive PSU becomes economical.