Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4s
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380 Series
RAM: G.Skill DDR4 16 GB
Hardrive: 1 TB WD Blue SSD
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 B2

Everytime that I try to overclock something goes wrong. Sometimes it boots incorrectly and sometimes the computer boots fine, but then it will freeze. I thought my specs were good enough to overclock the PC, but I am not sure. Does anyone have recommended settings that I should try?

First tried: I left the cpu ratio at all core and than changed the number to 42. I also disabled the Intel Speedstep technology.

Link to interface in my bios: https://overclocking.guide/z97-pro-4/

Solution
Well, I didn't really expect it to be sitting at the base clock... plenty of power and thermal overhead. Only asking for 1.1849 volts, good up to 1.35 or so. Try locking all cores to the stock boost of 3.9Ghz and running it again.

Then slowly increase the clock speed until it crashes, then add more CPU core voltage. Keep monitoring temperatures as you do so until you hit about 80C, that is a good stopping point, or a point to take it back one notch to keep it running cooler.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing else? Overclocking typically requires a voltage increase to the CPU core. You are asking it to go 300Mhz over stock with the stock voltage. Probably not too likely.

You also want to do small changes, rather then one sweeping change at once. So try 4.0 Ghz all cores, then 4.1Ghz, etc.

First, you should return it to the defaults and check what voltage the CPU core gets up to under a full load. That will be the baseline. You'll also want to note the temperature you reach, that will tell you if you have the headroom for overclocking (212 should be enough for a mild one)

Do you have XMP enabled for the memory?

Jdambrose

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2014
Nothing else? Overclocking typically requires a voltage increase to the CPU core. You are asking it to go 300Mhz over stock with the stock voltage. Probably not too likely.

You also want to do small changes, rather then one sweeping change at once. So try 4.0 Ghz all cores, then 4.1Ghz, etc.

First, you should return it to the defaults and check what voltage the CPU core gets up to under a full load. That will be the baseline. You'll also want to note the temperature you reach, that will tell you if you have the headroom for overclocking (212 should be enough for a mild one)

Do you have XMP enabled for the memory?
Ok so I tried resetting to default and ran prime95 tests to get the load up. Below is what Core Temp told me was happening.

CPU stats

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I didn't really expect it to be sitting at the base clock... plenty of power and thermal overhead. Only asking for 1.1849 volts, good up to 1.35 or so. Try locking all cores to the stock boost of 3.9Ghz and running it again.

Then slowly increase the clock speed until it crashes, then add more CPU core voltage. Keep monitoring temperatures as you do so until you hit about 80C, that is a good stopping point, or a point to take it back one notch to keep it running cooler.

Solution

Jdambrose

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2014

Thank you so much!!