Overclock stable on stress test but games crash

karolos bizos

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Hello,

So I recently decided to overclock my system, starting from gradually increasing the cpu. Clock, voltage then stress testing for about 2 hours with prime95,temps did not exceed 78, got it to 3.6Ghz. Didn't touch the ram as it is a pretty cheap ram stick at only 2133Mhz, I was afraid of damaging it. Anyway, overclocked the GPU, stress tested with FurMark for about 2 hours again, all stable. Then I jump on a game of CS:GO or fortnite, and i get some random crashes at random times, sometimes 30m, sometimes more. My specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600
GTX 10603GB
500GB SSD
1TB HDD

Solution
I'd agree with Gavin. More likely GPU OC.

Some games though, just don't respond well to OC components, and it can be that the OC is perfectly stable, but still causes issues.

Easy way to tell!? Run everything at stock, if the issue persists, you know the OC isn't helping.

Gavin Crane PC

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
A lot of time stress testing software doesn't do justice. Try using stress testing software along with games to test your overclock. The crashing is probably do due the gpu overclock. That cpu overclock is relatively low, so i dont think its the cpu.

I'd agree with Gavin. More likely GPU OC.

Some games though, just don't respond well to OC components, and it can be that the OC is perfectly stable, but still causes issues.

Easy way to tell!? Run everything at stock, if the issue persists, you know the OC isn't helping.

Solution

karolos bizos

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016

You're welcome :) And besides, although OC'ing the GPU can be fun when it works, the extra FPS that's often gained isn't worth the headache sometimes.