[SOLVED] overclock temps i5 8600k

Nico_202

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Hi all,
super new to overclocking (like 1 week) so please be gentle with me.
I have a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, i58600 k (3.6 GHz), 32 GB corsair Vengance LPX (XMP) Ram (2133MHz), RTX2060, and am running a master cooler ML240L liquid cooler, all in a cooler master mastercase H500p (mesh).
so i have been following loads of online videos etc and have been working up my overclock setting, and have levelled out on a 5.0GHz overclock, which runs stable at about 1.27 volts, with the ram running at 2666MHz.
I have been stress testing using Prime95, testing each increase for 3 hours, before moving up.
so my only real area of uncertainty is the temps, the absolute maximum for my cpu is 79, but mainly running late 60's for most of the test, but occasional spike.
i am running stock cooling fan profile so i have a little headroom to increase the fan speed profile but was also keen to strike a balance between heat and noise.
when idle my cpu temp is about 31c
so my question is, are these temps ok for my overclock, bearing in mind i will never stress it as much as Prime95 does

thanks in advance for your thoughts

Last edited:
Solution
I would say only a couple of spikes around that point whilst OC during a stress test are perfectly fine.

The important point would be if you're hitting those temperatures in your regular normal working of your PC - in which case, I'd say yes it's probably a bit too high. But a couple of peaks in a stress test whilst overclocking - if it's staying pretty much around 65 degrees - IMHO you're good. The stress test is pushing your CPU to it's max - likely beyond what you'll encounter in normal usage.

If it prolonged at 80+ then you may want to make a change. But a couple of small peaks I wouldn't worry. Maybe just modify the vcore a little.

Just make sure it stays that way during your normal usage (gaming etc.)

Nico_202

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
thanks for the reply
thats right, late 60's for most of the test (Prime 95) but it did spike a couple of times 78-89

what would be 'too high'? not that i want to go any further, just curious as i am new to this?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would say only a couple of spikes around that point whilst OC during a stress test are perfectly fine.

The important point would be if you're hitting those temperatures in your regular normal working of your PC - in which case, I'd say yes it's probably a bit too high. But a couple of peaks in a stress test whilst overclocking - if it's staying pretty much around 65 degrees - IMHO you're good. The stress test is pushing your CPU to it's max - likely beyond what you'll encounter in normal usage.

If it prolonged at 80+ then you may want to make a change. But a couple of small peaks I wouldn't worry. Maybe just modify the vcore a little.

Just make sure it stays that way during your normal usage (gaming etc.)

Last edited:
Solution