Overclock wont post with added RAM

Skitals

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I'm experiencing a strange overclocking issue, and I can't pin it on the motherboard or ram. Here is my system:

GA-P35-DS3L
e2140
ocz 600W stealthxstream
7600GT
2x1GB DDR2-800 Ballistix Tracer

With this setup, I can overclock the e2140 for 1.8ghz to 2.7ghz (300x9), with the ram at 750mhz 4-4-4-12.

I added 2 more GB of ram (2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800). Computer wouldn't post at all. I tested each stick individual, and one stick appears DOA. The other sticks work fine individually, and all three together.

But with the 3 working sticks, it will no longer post with ANY overclock. Even using default RAM timing (5-5-5-18), it wont post if I bump up the cpu speed even a little. With any custom settings, the computer reboots twice and resets all the settings to default.

What is the likely hood the third stick is also faulty? Or is there another reason I cant overclock using more that 2 sticks of RAM?

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
First off, use memtest for like 2 hours on the remaining 3 sticks of ram. If they come up clean, bump the voltage on the ram.....not too much, but raise it a little, ie, if it is 1.8 stock, bump to 2.0. Run memtest again after that....if they still come up clean, try overclocking again with only the 3 sticks of ram.......if it doesn't work, and keeps hitting a wall, then it might simply be because you are using 3 sticks and it isn't double data rate anymore. You need an even number for it to stay double data rate.......

Skitals

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I've been running memtest for maybe an hour... and just as a launched firefox I got an error. Not sure if it's because I was opening a program... I guess it's better if I run memtest from a bootable disc with nothing else running.

As far as voltage goes... I'm running at ~2.1... they are rated 2.2V

Skitals

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I ran memtest86 for a couple hours with just the one stick of ram. No errors. And by itself, my system overclocked fine and the ram ran at 4-4-4-12.

So is it normal I wouldn't be able to overclock the system with only 3 sticks of ram? I guess I wont find out how the system will do with 4 good sticks until I get a replacement.

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Yeah, set them to 2.2volts, and loosen the timings to 5-5-5-15........you shouldnt try to overclock with those tight timings, loosen them up, try to overclock and if it works, then you can try to lower the timings again.

Skitals

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
They run stable at 2.1v and 4-4-4-12 timing, so why would I increase the voltage? They already get hot enough to almost burn you.

That said, even with 5-5-5-18 timing and 2.2v, I can't bump my fsb at all with three sticks of the ram in. One stick, or two sticks and I can overclock fine. Crucial is taking their times getting me an RMA number for the 4th stick.

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Well, the reason i told you to loosen the timings and increase the voltage is because that will get you the highest overclock on your cpu.......once you get the cpu overclock you want, then you tighten the timings.....same thing for voltage, if it says to run it at 2.2, then that's what you do, you don't purposely undervolt it and then question why you can't overclock....you tighten timings and drop voltages once you hit what you are looking for.....it makes things alot easier.....if you still can't overclock once everything is loosened, then it's really tough to say what it is.....it's "possible" you need to increase your NB voltage...ie, you NB voltage has enough juice to power 2 sticks, but once you put a few extra sticks in you it may require a little more juice to power them.