Overclock working fine, then does not

jjcooldude8

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Okay so I overclocked my Ryzen 3 1200 to 4.0Mhz at 2.5v on a MSI Tomahawk board and it was working great, until I decided to restart my pc. Then it wouldn’t post. Just a black screen. No problem, just rest cmos... dial in a lower OC just to get it stable again because maybe it wasn’t as stable as I thought. No post still. Then I tryed loading up default settings, boot into windows just fine. Then I thought maybe try just putting the modifier to stock speeds instead of auto doing it for me... it refused to post still. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Update
Something weird happened that makes no sense to me but this is also one of the only times I have attempted overclocking a processor. I'm running a Ryzen 3 1200 on a MSi Tomahawk B350 with the latest BIOS revision. It might also be important that I have 1 stick of G Skill Aegis 8gb ram running in single channel at 2966mhz. So I was playing with the clock speed in bios and it was going wonderfully, I was getting up to 3.5 without even touching the voltage yet, then I gradually went up to 4.0Ghz and that is where the issues started. I eventually had to ramp the voltage up to 1.35v to get it stable and then I restarted it to tweak it a bit more and then it refused to post. I thought maybe the oc was not as stable as I originally thought, so reset cmos and put it back to a clock speed I knew was very stable (3.4Ghz) and it refused to post once again. So this time I was nervous and decided to just run the default settings, everything set to auto basically. It not only posted but booted into Windows just fine. So I ran one more test, manually set the clock speed to the stock 3.1Ghz and see what happens. No post once again. So at this point I am trying to comprehend what just happened because that makes no sense. Any advise is appreciated, thanks in advanced

jjcooldude8

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from jjcooldude8 : "Touching CPU frequency causes pc to not post"

Something weird happened that makes no sense to me but this is also one of the only times I have attempted overclocking a processor. I'm running a Ryzen 3 1200 on a MSi Tomahawk B350 with the latest BIOS revision. It might also be important that I have 1 stick of G Skill Aegis 8gb ram running in single channel at 2966mhz. So I was playing with the clock speed in bios and it was going wonderfully, I was getting up to 3.5 without even touching the voltage yet, then I gradually went up to 4.0Ghz and that is where the issues started. I eventually had to ramp the voltage up to 1.35v to get it stable and then I restarted it to tweak it a bit more and then it refused to post. I thought maybe the oc was not as stable as I originally thought, so reset cmos and put it back to a clock speed I knew was very stable (3.4Ghz) and it refused to post once again. So this time I was nervous and decided to just run the default settings, everything set to auto basically. It not only posted but booted into Windows just fine. So I ran one more test, manually set the clock speed to the stock 3.1Ghz and see what happens. No post once again. So at this point I am trying to comprehend what just happened because that makes no sense. Any advise is appreciated, thanks in advanced